ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

CALs - confusing - long one

Rav4
Hi there,

CALs suck,

Please tell me correct licensing for this scenario

Requirements:​

• All servers running server2003 standard R2
  • All desktops running windows XP
  • No users will be logging onto a server, what I mean by this is that TS is not used.
  • No MS exchange
  • No SQL server
Users will simply be logging into the machines as dumb terminals, through there they will logon to a hosted service that deals with everything else.​

Site 1​

1 x Domain controller 1
1 x Domain controller 2
1 x File Server (simple word documents and so on)
1 x Web Server

40 x users​

Site 2​

1 x Domain controller 1
1 x Domain controller 2
1 x Web Server

40 x users​

Site 3​

1 x Domain controller 1
1 x Domain controller 2
1 x Web Server

40 x users​

Summary​

6 x domain controllers
3 x file servers
3 x web servers

Total servers 12

120 x users

My question is, will I need the following?

12 x windows 2003 standard R2 (including 5 CALs each, total of 60 CALs included.)
60 x additional CALs? which would equal to 120 users including the allowance of the included CALs?

OR have I just got it all wrong?

Please advice,

Gabi.​

Rav4
So let me put it in a simpler way.

If I have 120 users over 3 sites.

Regardless of how many users they get authenticated on via AD,

I will need 120 CALs?

its a nightmare and the worrying thing is its very hard to find someone at ms that really knows all the ins and outs as well

Better than yours. C*nt.
dont forget device cals for any devices that contact the server too

You either need user CALs or device CALs, not both - common misconception. We're licenced by devices, and have to have a licence for every network device. Those who licence by user, need to have a licence for every user in Active Directory.

Depends on your working model - if for example you use lots of remote staff/people who work from home, it's better to licence per user as they may connect from multiple machines but still only need the licence to their name.

In a call centre environment, that would be ridiculous, as you have thousands of call handlers potentially with a maximum of 250 logging on at one time because that's how many terminals you have - so you buy 250 device licences...

HTH bud.

you need device cals for devices that communicate without a user logging on like our time clocks they talk to the sql database but its not one specific user

is what im saying, im not talking about pc's per say

Better than yours. C*nt.
you could do user cals in a call center but limit it to just 250 logging on at any one time

Not 100% on the rest of the Microsoft suite of licences but a User CAL is just that - for A user, not a concurrent connection, so as per Windows Server 2008 your TS CAL is assigned to a user, and has to be revoked manually or expire to become available again in the pool.

I'm more a TS Licencing man myself, so not 1000000% sure, but I seem to recall that being the case...

Better than yours. C*nt.
you need device cals for devices that communicate without a user logging on like our time clocks they talk to the sql database but its not one specific user

is what im saying, im not talking about pc's per say

True - yes. In an environment where you have standalone devices talking to SQL instances I know you need device CALs for that. Although I'm not sure but do they actually do SQL User CALs? Again, not something I'm sure on as we've got enough database connections to warrant Processor licences rather than individual.

Rav4
So, for the first scenario,

What do I need.

1) How many CALs
2) Device or user CALs

Thanks,

G.

Better than yours. C*nt.
You don't mention how many terminals you have for them to access from. That'll be the decider for you.

DMS

A thirsty 172
12 x Windows Server 2003 R2 standard licenses
120 CAL's.
Put the domain in "Per Seat" licensing mode.

That would mean you can have up to 120 workstations connecting to the domain and no limit on the amount of actual user accounts. You could have 2000 AD accounts all in use if you wanted, as only 120 of them would be able to log on at any one time due to the limited number of workstations.

I think that'd work out most economical cost-wise in your environment.
Note that M$ might have changed licensing requirements since I last had to worry about that sort of thing so don't blame me if FAST come and give you a "dry one" :p