ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

CAM Belt snapped on my 172?

172 MKII FF
Maybe a daft question (and slightly off topic!) - but how come cambelts are made of what they are? Surely heavy-duty, purpose-built chains would be far better - assuming the noise wasn't a problem?

D.

This is exactly something i have thought of. Why make such an important part of an engine in such a way that it can break so easily and cause so much harm.

172 MKII FF
Reading his posts it sounds as though its his Auxilary belt thats snapped not his cam belt.

You cant see a cambelt unless you take the top mount off so how would he no its not there ;)

maybe?? lol

How dangerous is it if the auxillary belt snaps? What would be involved in repairing this?

Ph1
Reading his posts it sounds as though its his Auxilary belt thats snapped not his cam belt.

You cant see a cambelt unless you take the top mount off so how would he no its not there ;)

maybe?? lol

How dangerous is it if the auxillary belt snaps? What would be involved in repairing this?

very

Bugger of a job to do so best left to the Dealers to fix

Aux belt usually takes the cam belt with it in a lot of cases

Clio Sport 182
I sold my 182 recently after only 1 years ownership, in that time it had 3 cats, 1 rear damper, 1 engine mount, 1 ECU bracket and it was only on an '04' I now own a Golf V5 which I must admit makes my bottom feel much safer and less susceptable to the royal rogering by the horrificly bad qualified renault techs or (RRHBQRT) for short

F**k - was that with Renault? I thought Cup cambelts where easier to work on? Saying that it would also be the damage that was caused.
Aux belts are quicker to chnage not the cambelt though.
Maybe a daft question (and slightly off topic!) - but how come cambelts are made of what they are? Surely heavy-duty, purpose-built chains would be far better - assuming the noise wasn't a problem?
There cost and the fact your doing people out of a job.

M

mini-valver

A lot of new Vauxhall engines are chain driven, loads or Mercs are too. The chains snap and the tensioners wear. 6 of one, half a dozen of the other really providing the belts are changed on the intervals there wont be a problem 99% of the time!

CB600FS

maybe?? lol

Don't need the top mount off, theres loads of ways to tell any decent AA/RAC man could tell you in an instant. Dead easy mate. Loads of tell-tale signs, easiest ones taking the oil filler cap off, and turning it over, if the cams dont turn, da da. It'd turn over well quick aswell, compression test would tell you in 20 seconds etc (not on F4R)

Other signs = lack of power, non-start ;)

clio 172 cup
my old corsa had a chain on didnt need doing untill 100,000miles r sumit
am still tryin to save up for me cambelt fuckin expensive

J

Jim NM

Renault should be ashamed of themselves, as Toyota have developed a safe engine system whereby if the cam belt breaks it does not cause any damage to your valves and pistons. Trust the Japanese ehhh!

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
When the cambelt fails, is this through wear usually, and is there anything that contributes to it failing quicker.

My cam belt was changed at 80k and 6 years, remember driving round that last year before getting it changed feeling well paranoid, but the trusty 172 never let me down.

'02 MG TF160
Mine's at 47k and 5yrs, so i'm getting it done - its just not worth risking it - thats what credit cards are for!

Ph1

maybe?? lol

Don't need the top mount off, theres loads of ways to tell any decent AA/RAC man could tell you in an instant. Dead easy mate. Loads of tell-tale signs, easiest ones taking the oil filler cap off, and turning it over, if the cams dont turn, da da. It'd turn over well quick aswell, compression test would tell you in 20 seconds etc (not on F4R)

yeah by jacking the car up and looking underneith but if you read his first post he said the AA man didnt check ! Any AA man worth is salt would not start a car if he suspected the cam belt was away! :eek:

Going by the loss of power with no warning lights and the starter problem its pretty certain to be the auxiliary belt not his cambelt.

CB600FS

yeah by jacking the car up and looking underneith but if you read his first post he said the AA man didnt check ! Any AA man worth is salt would not start a car if he suspected the cam belt was away! :eek:

Going by the loss of power with no warning lights and the starter problem its pretty certain to be the auxiliary belt not his cambelt.

Wrong.

You don't have to jack the car up atall, the oil filler caps on the top of the engine... Turn it over all you want the damage has been done already.

How does no alternater belt cause lack of power, and non-start?? The car would start, and you'd have power... Hes just said it was cambelt anyway.

Clio 16v
out the top. remove the exhaust manifold, bonnet, and all the driveshafts etc, bring the ecu and loom out with it.

172 cup TT
If you buy a "new" engine make sure you pay a few bob extra and ask them to fit a new cam belt before the replacement engine goes in. Thats what i did recently

Valver
Are you def 100% its the cambelt? Wouldn't you hear crashing/banging/nasty noises when the pistons collide with the valves if the cambelt had failed and caused damage?

Lionel Richie
not always, i was in a car when the rod bolt sheared at 8000rpm and smashed the piston to bits and put the rod through the block, the engine just stopped and smoke poured out everywhere (we were travelling at 120mph at the time)

no noise as such

BMW 320d SE
Have you actually had the engine checked for damage by a garage? It seems like it would be worth doing this first before shelling out for new engines etc.
It's just that my brother's old car shed it's cambelt and the engine came to a stop straight away - same circumstances as yours really - but when the engine was checked, there was no damage at all.

Clio Sport 172
Have you actually had the engine checked for damage by a garage? It seems like it would be worth doing this first before shelling out for new engines etc.
It's just that my brother's old car shed it's cambelt and the engine came to a stop straight away - same circumstances as yours really - but when the engine was checked, there was no damage at all.

Nah mate it's definately scrwed; all the rockers have even come out of the cam shaft!

mines on 35k miles but 5 years old in November. hmmm was only gonna get the Aux belts done.....
i wonder....