ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

CAM Belt Warning To ALL!

Clio 172
So, I couldn't afford the cam belt change in the summer so was going to wait till after Christmas and guess what? Tensioner pully failed, belt skipped a few teeth and bam - one engine in need of work!

Lesson to all - Change the cam belt before it is required to save future costs!

Tom

RS RIP
Jeeeezz... that sucks ! A friend of my neighbor had his clio cambelt snapped last night too.

Be warned indeed !!!!!!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Anybody that says 'i can't afford a cambelt' is a tit imo.

ITs your own fault, and now look at the state of you.

I was having an argument with a car dealer today over a megane saying the belt should have been done as it was at 5years old but only 35k. cant wait to see his face if the belt snaps on test drive...

phase 1 172
sorry to hear that, my beast is 2001 172 with only 30k on it and the first thing i did was book it in for a cambelt

its all about false economy

Im not sure when you should have them changed.. what mileage?

Every 72k miles or 5 years, which ever comes first. Auxilary belt should be changed on 36k service (thats the one Renault dealers forget sometimes :rolleyes: )

Agree with Dan. Your a mug putting off a cambelt change. Total false economy if you get caught out.

Less
got to budget for it a couple of months before its due to be changed!!! butyes a lesson to be learnt by all. good post , sorry for the cost to you tho

clio 182 black /gold
Yes these should be done when stated. My neighbour has avectra and they never gave the cambelt any thought and it snapped at 70200 miles and it should have neen done a 70K. My mates astra got to 61K and snapped this should have been done at 60K. The same mates dad had his orion booked in for cam belt on a Monday but it snapped on the saturday. I know there all none renaults but bewarned.

Clio 172
Mine is 4 1/2 yrs, 43k miles.

Not a tit for not being able to afford it! lol.

As for damage, not too bad just valves. Gives me an excuse to get the cams I want and some head work :) Should run better than ever after!

172 Race Car

As for damage, not too bad just valves. Gives me an excuse to get the cams I want and some head work :) Should run better than ever after!
if u couldnt afford the £300-£600 to get the belt changed how do u expect to pay for the head work?

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa

I'd be giving Renault UK a ring if mine snapped at 4 1/2 yrs, 43k miles . Its a fair bit under their 5 yr / 72k schedule . It's worth a phone call dont ya think ?? You never know , they might contribute to part of the bill . Thats if you've got a full service history to begin with .

Suzuki Ignis Sport
Picking up my cambelt and tension kit tomorrow, and get it fitted next week.

Need it done ASAP!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel

I'd be giving Renault UK a ring if mine snapped at 4 1/2 yrs, 43k miles . Its a fair bit under their 5 yr / 72k schedule . It's worth a phone call dont ya think ?? You never know , they might contribute to part of the bill . Thats if you've got a full service history to begin with .

They won't contribute jack didly.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa

They won't contribute jack didly.

They probably won't , but its worth a phone call imo .

Clio 172

if u couldnt afford the £300-£600 to get the belt changed how do u expect to pay for the head work?

No money then, lots now :)

I can't go running to Renault with my matched inlet, decat exhaust and remap!

RS RIP
another warning guys,

My dealer showed me that the belt change interval has been set to once every 4 years !!!!!!!!!!!! (or so many miles)

I thought it was five and he let me read it.

Cambelts from Reno have been known to go BEFORE the 5 years/mileage !!!

clio 172
my service book when i bought it said it had one when it was 16k but imo thts well to early iv done it at 38k cause the car was 5 years old expensive but worth it

Suzuki Ignis Sport
I've bought my cambelt and tension kit from GSF Car parts for about £65, and getting it fitted for £70 from a garage my mate knows very well.

So paying £135 for a cambelt change.

A slow one :-(
Hmm reminds me to get mine booked in as its just turned 5 years.

Not been a good month, service, insurance, MOT, Tax and now this!

330Ci (Fail)Sport
Bought my car when it was 8yrs old (36k miles) and had no idea if cambelt had ever been changed so was had it done within in a month, £160 isn't much for peace of mind. Aren't they around £500-1k to get engine sorted after they go?

Wonder how many ppl are going to get their cambelts changed within a month because of this thread lol

CB600FS

And they'll tell you to piss off. It says in the service book...

"Contact your Renault dealer if it is necessary to replace the timing belt, notibaly in the following conditions...
-Door to door
-Urban driving
-Repeated short journeys
-Dusty environment
...and depending on your driving style, and use of your vehicle."

Anyway hes said he couldn't afford it, not that he didn't know it needed changing. As said many times on here, 72k/5Yrs is a guide.

JMR

RB 182 Cup
Mines 4 1/2 years old and on 56k.

The old sphinctor has been twitching a bit:eek:

Booked it in with Andy at GDI yesterday:approve:

Sooner pay £450 to change it early and have some peace of mind instead of the £1k+ to re-build the engine when it goes snap.

Cup'd Monaco 172
I think you were unlucky and some people on here are being unfair. 43k and 4 1/2 years is well within the guide. I changed mine at 4 1/2 years and 75k

320d
is the aux belt the "fan belt" as its known, if so how hoch is it to change one of these as i'm on 30500 so will need it doin in about summer next year.

Renault Clio 172 16v
My 2003 172 is due next year, but has only done 49000 miles. But after reading this I'm definitly considering getting mine done early.

When you order a cambelt kit from renault, what is included in the kit?? obviously the cambelt, but what else do you get??

If I was to get the parts for a cambelt change, could someone confirm this is what I need:

1. Cambelt Kit
2. AUX belt (is there a tensioner for this??, or is this all i need?)
3. Water Pump (I've heard people say its worth changing while this job is being done??)

I think thats it, also does any one have the part numbers??

thanks

Daz

1.2 16v Dynamique.
buypartsby.co.uk have a contitech (made by Continental) timing belt kit for my 2001 1.2 16v. for £41 plus vat. Cheap as chips

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa

And they'll tell you to piss off. It says in the service book...

"Contact your Renault dealer if it is necessary to replace the timing belt, notibaly in the following conditions...
-Door to door
-Urban driving
-Repeated short journeys
-Dusty environment
...and depending on your driving style, and use of your vehicle."

Anyway hes said he couldn't afford it, not that he didn't know it needed changing. As said many times on here, 72k/5Yrs is a guide.

Not in my service book it doesn't . Maybe it's changed for newer cars ?

And they are recommended service intervals by Renault not guides .It's still 5 years for different driving styles and 54k for the timing belt ;)

Ad

MK2 FRS
^ 72k....

no point in comparing prices with 1.2s lol cambelts are very different on the 2.016v

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
^ 72k....

no point in comparing prices with 1.2s lol cambelts are very different on the 2.016v

It does say 72k , but if you read all the crap under " special conditions of use " its recommends the timing belt to be done at 54k :eek: