ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cam cover leak 182

Clio 182
Annoyingly, having just changed the cambelt and all associated bits, retimed it and put it all back together, I've got a little leak from the cam cover. Been giving this some thought as I don't really want to dismantle it all again. I'm thinking maybe I could put all the cam locking tools back in place, lock the engine to tdc and then carefully remove just the cam cover, reseal it and torque it back down. Can you see any problems doing that?

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Cam pulleys will need to come off to get the cover off.

How bad is the leak, is it coming from under the bolt heads?

Clio 182
The leak is seeping from the join between cam cover and head.

Trying to remember...are you sure the cam pulleys need to come off to get the cam cover off. I should remember - only did it a month or so ago

The cams would lift but not by a lot and anyway if they stayed in relative position to the cam belt and pulleys and tdc I should be able to torque it all back down in the same position as it came up in?

Probably end up doing the whole thing again!!

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
The leak is seeping from the join between cam cover and head.

Trying to remember...are you sure the cam pulleys need to come off to get the cam cover off. I should remember - only did it a month or so ago

The cams would lift but not by a lot and anyway if they stayed in relative position to the cam belt and pulleys and tdc I should be able to torque it all back down in the same position as it came up in?

Probably end up doing the whole thing again!!

Yeah they need to come off, mainly the dephaser pulley. Where the cam seals is actually recesses into the pulley so you can't just lift the cover straight up.

You 'can' remove the cover with the pulleys on but that's only if you plan on never putting it back together 😂 you'd never get the seal right.

Clio 182
Yeah they need to come off, mainly the dephaser pulley. Where the cam seals is actually recesses into the pulley so you can't just lift the cover straight up.

You 'can' remove the cover with the pulleys on but that's only if you plan on never putting it back together 😂 you'd never get the seal right.
Thanks for your thoughts guys. Just have to do it all again - but properly this time!

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Thanks for your thoughts guys. Just have to do it all again - but properly this time!

Should have no issue taking the belt off, although for the sake of a few quid I'd get a new belt for good practice.

Clio 182
Should have no issue taking the belt off, although for the sake of a few quid I'd get a new belt for good practice.
Thanks James. I found it all pretty straightforward - just took a bit of time to set the timing up. I'll take a good look at the belt and if there is any sign of oil I will renew.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Thanks James. I found it all pretty straightforward - just took a bit of time to set the timing up. I'll take a good look at the belt and if there is any sign of oil I will renew.

I meant in terms of stretch, once it's been tensioned and ran it's not the best practice to reuse but people have done and it's been fine.