ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cam cover sealant

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
I know I said Renault silicon but I did mean the stuff pictured above from RPD. Out of interest what's your concern with silicon? The excess which clogs oil pickups? Been using silicon for rocker cover gaskets for years and have never had an issue.

robzracing

ClioSport Club Member
Yes, clogging oilways and getting caught in the oil pick up on the pump is the issue.
I’ve taken several engines apart and found silicone on the mesh of the pickup.
The anaerobic sealant goes rock solid in the joint but any excess stays fluid so it’s much safer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Yes, clogging oilways and getting caught in the oil pick up on the pump is the issue.
I’ve taken several engines apart and found silicone on the mesh of the pickup.
The anaerobic sealant goes rock solid in the joint but any excess stays fluid so it’s much safer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TBF I have seen the same, but only when someone has used a whole tube. Trying to take an oil filter off once and discovered that some pleb had used silicon in place of the O-ring, they had used enough that the majority of the filter was clogged with the stuff.