ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cambelt & Cams Questions

172 Cup & Clio dci Van
everyone on here says 428 cams are w**k btw, so hopefully before you buy have a search on here...pipers are much better and i am not just saying that because i am selling some pipers in for sale section lol

do a search on here somone did a comparison between them and the pipers were mucv much better than the 428s

Ph1
Geniune = Renault ;) - iirc their not too expensive either, not silly priced.

For the Gates cam belt im not sure. Birchdown maybe?

You dont want to skimp in this area its worth paying and doing it right. One slip up could cost you your engine so worth fitting the proper kit.

Ph1
i did 192bhp and 160lbs/ft on a customers car with them, i wouldn't say "w**k" ;)

I read on here that you were building another 172 to the exact spec as the above.

Did you manage to get a similar figure or was the above a freak kind of thing?

Lionel Richie
yeah it made 159lbs/ft, but power wise it was down, 186 i think it did, but had stock inlets and a really hooky exhaust system, full AC setup too Vs the cup setup of the other car (it makes a difference IMO)

happy with the result though!

Mk2 172
everyone on here says 428 cams are w**k btw, so hopefully before you buy have a search on here...pipers are much better and i am not just saying that because i am selling some pipers in for sale section lol

do a search on here somone did a comparison between them and the pipers were mucv much better than the 428s

I have tbh i didnt like them wen i had them fitted on my old ITB'd car. Imo they were definately not worth the money. Next to no gains. I cant speak for a car without bodies tho :) probably better on a standard car.

172 Cup & Clio dci Van
I have tbh i didnt like them wen i had them fitted on my old ITB'd car. Imo they were definately not worth the money. Next to no gains. I cant speak for a car without bodies tho :) probably better on a standard car.

which ones did you have dan? 428's?

172 - 249bhp @ the wheels
echo Dan's thoughts, waste of time and money, might see a few bhp, but for the cost of them they are utterly pointless. Chris n Nic's car is an example of a car that makes 190+ (closer to 200bhp) on pretty much every RR it's been on and has breathing mods and is mapped.

Ph1
^^yeah the only one that does. That car is a freak. Any other car with the same mods would just about struggle to make book figures

172 - 249bhp @ the wheels
hmm, dunno, it had a replacement engine under warrenty and was just as fast. Cant remember where he had it mapped though

Cammed 182 :)
Cams should be done by wednesday but when I go to get car mapped what rev limit should i ask for it to be raised to is 8k too much?

182 trackday racer
Cams should be done by wednesday but when I go to get car mapped what rev limit should i ask for it to be raised to is 8k too much?

From what Ive heard they rev a maximum of 8000rpm in the Formula Renault cars and they are on the limit. So Id say 7500rpm like Henk runs on his maps is a good limit for a roadcar. You will most likley have max power around 7000rpm anyway so no real point in reving it higher.

What cams are you putting in there?

The cams are to go with Matched inlets, viper kit, Rs 192 full decat and remap what figure roughly would you guess when on the rollers?

Im going to say mid 190s I did see your printout andy with the cat cams vs pipers somthing didnt look right possibly the map.

Ph1
I need to get it up the strip to comapre 1/4 mile results or find someone for a traffic like duel lol
Top ends really good just the bottom end thats flat although it seems little bit better than it was as iv lost the 5k kick so could have been the lifters bedding in?

On paper the Pipers and 428's are like chalk and cheese. Pipers have a long duration and low lift where as the 428's have a higher lift but not as much duration.

There does seem to be mixed views with these 428's tho

Hopefully my car is finshed by Friday then i can see what 1/4 mile time i can get @ crail on the sunday? When you done the 14.4 was the car semi stripped also what was your terminal speed?

Ph1
Who's doing your mapping ?

That 14.4 time was was full interior, 25kg's of ice and heavy Speedline 2118's. Not long after I ditched all the heavy stuff and had the map tweeked and it was a different car but never managed to get a time. Defo would have hit low 14's.

Whens Crail back on do you know?

The mapping is still to be confirmed possibly powertune scotland he has mapped clios before but maps on road rather that on a dyno. I called AVA motorsport in glasgow they said they couldnt map a 182 lol. Crail season starts on 14th feb mate.
How much quicker is your car when standard to now?

Ph1
The mapping is still to be confirmed possibly powertune scotland he has mapped clios before but maps on road rather that on a dyno. I called AVA motorsport in glasgow they said they couldnt map a 182 lol. Crail season starts on 14th feb mate.
How much quicker is your car when standard to now?

Im not sure cos the last time it was standard was 6 years ago lol - on the Pipers a lot quicker, 428's iv never raced anyone so not sure. TBH tho mate im a bad example to compare as theres question marks over a potential problem with the car with the bottom end power figure being a lot lower than others. I'll fiddle about with it when the weather gets better.

If you have no joy up here, well worth a trip to RS Tuning. Only 4 and a bit hours from Glasgow :cool:

williams and trophy
hmm, dunno, it had a replacement engine under warrenty and was just as fast. Cant remember where he had it mapped though

well it had the rsport ecu on when the engine went. and that was retained with the new engine. after that it went to wayne at chip wizards, and it made quite a difference...hmmmm i see a pattern emerging ;)

Ph1
how quick compared to other hatches was it andy like the vxrs st,s etc when on the pipers?

Should be all on the Crail site somewhere but a Focus RS and my mates R32 are a couple of examples lol

I'll get it on the strip and see what it can do. Its alright banging on about bhp figures but its on the black stuff that counts :cool: