ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cambelt - genuine or not?

Hi had a quick search but would like a bit of conformation.

So cambelt is now due as its 5 yrs old, done 39,000 miles so gonna change it.

Question is Reno want £100 for a belt and tensioner and a gates one it like £60, So is there any point in getting a genuine one or would a non-gen do the job ?

cheers guys.

Last edited:
  audi a6 3.0tdi
For the sake of £40 i would go genuine on something that major. it may save you a fortune in the longrun

Renault Clio 172
+1

Always worth buying genuine parts if you can. Also, will be covered my a parts warranty for a certain period of time by Renault. You never know ;)

Amy

UR R26, Hyundai IX35
My cambelt needs doing in the the next couple of months, it's not even 4yrs old yet and has done 46k. It's a mess!

Lots of Alfas
Theres nothing wrong with the Gates kits, they are normally identical to the renault items. You have to remember that the renault items are not exactly top quality parts to begin with.

audi a3 1.8t sport
renault belt is made by gates and thay use skf tansioner so it is the same thing for less money and gates offer the same parts warranty as renault, if the belt snaped before its due date gates will pay for any damege to the engine.

Lots of Alfas
The gates kits are also dated when they were manufactured. You never know how long the Renault ones have been sitting in the warehouse.

Amy

UR R26, Hyundai IX35
The gates kits are also dated when they were manufactured. You never know how long the Renault ones have been sitting in the warehouse.

So that might explain why mine is a bit sh*tty already..

RS RIP
^^ how do you know/figure your cambelt is "shitty" ?

A cambelt is either good, or it has snapped..

Amy

UR R26, Hyundai IX35
Or, it's between good and snapped...?

I've had a look and it's not in very good condition.

Hmm paying £40 more just because it comes in a renault box, no thanks.

As said it'll be the same kit that they sell minus the 'genuine' box.

RS RIP
Or, it's between good and snapped...?

I've had a look and it's not in very good condition.

ahh i think you must mean the aux. belt , only one visible. Get it done though , as the aux belt can, when/if it goes, take the cambelt out aswell :eek:

Amy

UR R26, Hyundai IX35
Mahdunno, my boyfriend was gonna service his and thought he'd take a look at mine too so took it all apart and saw it.
His is in pretty much the same condition.

Wow that opened up a debate didn't it, looks like its a non gen then. It's not that i'm tight but , you know, credit crunch an all. Cheers guys.

t3 corolla 116bhp
i got a genuine reno kit ( belt tensioner and pulley bolt) for my dci for 55 quid from GSF. maybe try them?

They'res only a handful of companys that manufacture cam-belts.

Renault ones will be made by one of these anyway.

RS RIP
how/where to go about getting a Gates kit ? Just all autoparts shops ?

40pounds is a pretty big difference !! Mine is being done next week so i'll be after a Gates kit then coming monday

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
A used belt won't be a mess.

I've seen a 65k belt and I coulnd't tell the difference between that and my brand new, unfitted belt.

Cupra 300 ST 4drive
Bits were removed btw.

If it is the cambelt has been looked at, and you state its looking damaged, you should not be driving your car, it should be changed Now. You never drive around on a cambelt you know has damage.

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider
also worth checking if you get all the idler pullies and tensioner in the other kits...

the renault ones come with all the parts

its not always the belt that fails, but often the tensioner or rollers.