ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cambelt Interval

Clio 172 Cup
at what interval do i need to have my camvelt done ?
as i have a 172cup 52 with 18000 miles it had a first service at 12000 about 2 1/2 years ago and recently had oil change and oil filter change and injectors cleaned out by myself as my local renault garage couldn't tell me what £250 paid for.

do i need to check anything else or worry about any belt changes ?

thnx for replies.
:S

Jag Mondeo -Type
Yeah you could be lucky and get away with it, but its not worth the risk imo as they have been known to snap!

172 MKII FF
Mine is due to pass it's two year mark next month, I got mine replaced and a 48k service done 2 month or go when I heard it has to be done at 5 years. I wasn't risking it.

172 MKII FF
any one do a cam belt for a reasonable price near wigan area

Go to RS Tuning in Leeds, they did mine, I think they wanted £480 for the cambelt. One of the cheapest as other dealers wanted in excess of £700 for the same job.

Clio II
Hiya just checked the schedules for your cambelt change and its recommended every 36k or 5yrs you should really replace the tensioner and idler pulleys aswell also 1 sevice in 5yrs!! you ought to have it done 12k/2yrs. hope it can help, bye

Last edited:
  Clio 172 Cup
why what would renault have done that iv'e not everyone seems to say pay pay pay but no one can tell me why i have looked after it since day 1 and it still smells new when i get in it and recent service by me

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
^^ shoud still have atleast 3 then IMO, and defo one just after it stood for 2 years.

Clio II
i suppose if you keep the car well maintained yourself theres no need to keep to the schedules there just a guideline, i know i like to get my car on a lift to keep on top of everything every 6 mnths. but manufactures set schedules for people who dont know or even care about there cars and to give a life expectancy of the filters belts etc. people probaly take there cars to a renault dealership because the trained techs can give a precise report on the serviceabilty of the wear and tear parts of the car.and a full renault service history looks good in the books and increase resale value. BOOKA:rasp:

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Personally i wouldn'y buy a car that had not been serviced once a year (especially one thats desighned to be driven hard)

Clio 172 Cup
well technically it has been serviced once a year if you read the whole text the only thing that bothers me is the re-sale value but its a renault so its not worth anything now never mind if i ever do decide to sell it

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
My cars 6 years old and is worth just under 50% of it's cost new, so i'd disagree.