ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cambelt Issue

Clio 197
I hope someone here can help, in a bit of a sticky situation and really need some advice. I own an '07 Clio 197 that's done 58,000 miles. Please excuse any terminology that's not correct, I'm no expert in car mechanics.

Yesterday morning I was driving along and I've accidentally driven over a few small potholes, which were covered in water which meant I was unable to see them. About 3-4 seconds later the cars lost power, the power-steerings gone, I could smell petrol and the dashboard reads 'check injection'. There were no real loud noises and no 'clunk' when the car came to a stop, and nothing major when I tried to turn it back on.

I wasn't able to get the car to my normal garage (they fitted my cam belt recently) as they were unavailable so the AA have towed it to a nearby garage that I have no experience with. The AA guy thought that maybe the car had thought it was in an accident because of the potholes and had stopped fuel going to the engine, therefore causing the loss of power and maybe explaining the smell. My mum (who'd come to help me push the car to safety) seems to remember him saying that the auxiliary belt or cam belt were still intact (she doesn't remember which). The car was then towed to the nearby garage.

This morning (around lunchtime) I received a call saying that the cam belt had snapped and that they were going to look into it further. I'd explained that we believed the pothole had caused the damage because it had happened straight after and the mechanic seemed to go along with this theory and didn't question it. Afterwards I've called my dad to tell him the bad news and he doesn't seem to buy that the cam belt could be damaged by a pothole; the suspension and alloys maybe, but a cam belt doesn't stack up. I've then called them back and asked whether they thought the pothole could cause the damage and let them know for the first time that the cam belt had only been changed 4-5 months ago, this time they've agreed and said that there was no way that a pothole could cause the damage. They've then said they'll 'strip it' and find the cause/damage.

3 hours later I receive another call saying that the 'Auxiliary belt' had broken and been sucked into the cam belt, damaging it. They've then said that they'll continue to strip it to find the damage and then let me know from there how much it will cost. I've then called my usual garage to see if this seems legit and they've agreed, whether this was just to get them off the hook for the broken cam belt, we don't know.

When I get home I've contacted a distant family member who has a lot of experience in tuning cars professionally, he doesn't buy that the auxiliary belt could break a cam belt and that the case should protect it from the belt or any other foreign objects. I still need to find out whether the case was on for sure, but my usual garage never mentioned that it was missing and my dad seems to remember it being on, so it seems likely that it was in place.

I'm now in a sticky situation where my cars at the garage that I'm not sure's telling the whole truth, and they're 'stripping' the engine to look for damage still. I've been told that I should get the car back to the garage that fitted the cam belt originally, as it's possibly their issue, if the case was on.

Essentially, I'm wondering whether anything stands out as odd for any of you, I'd seriously appreciated it as I'm worried that this is going to be a very expensive repair job. Thanks in advance!!

Last edited:
  E46 M3
They mean auxiliary belt (there isn't a fan belt) and unfortunately it is very common for them to take out the cambelt.

Clio 197
thanks, I realised afterwards that I should have put belt instead of fan.

Can this do a lot of damage? I presume it can..

182 ff
take a pic of the pot hole ,measure its width and depth put a report in ,to your local council... if your not happy,settle up with the garage ,take it to a place you feel better with, get them to right a report saying the pot hole caused damage.(if you can).. try to claim for the repair.. or part of it.

its worth a try ,you never know...

Last edited:
If the garage that changed the cambelt didn't change the aux KIT then they are at fault, as it's likely to be a siezed or weak tensioner that has allowed the aux belt to get into the cambelt.

The garage that did the work should be given the chance to repair it first. Although by allowing the other garage to proceed with stripping it down you've pretty much written off any warranty that you'd have had.

Lionel Richie
Pot hole - no
family member pro - wrong
second garage - correct
first garage who did the belt - they cocked up IMO

you will have "fitted parts warranty" if you had genuine parts fitted, what were you charged?

Many.
very common for the aux belt to fail somehow (usually by not being changed, tensioner failing etc) and enter the cambelt covers and f**k it all up.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
This is a 197 though and tensioner failures are not as common as they are on the 172/182... belt kit still needed changing though at the time of the timing belt and i'm leaning towards Freds summary of the situation in that the initial garage has ballsed the job

Clio 197
Thanks for all the advice guys, it really helps.

The garage it's at contacted me today and said there's about £2,000's worth of damage. Going down there later to check it out so I'll be sure to question whether they believe the original garage have done the job properly. Although that may be pointless at this stage anyway, if the warranty has been voided because they've stripped it.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
An independent inspection shouldn't invalidate your warranty as the belt has snapped... no court in the land would accept that as a reason to rule in the garages favor. Have you spoken to the guys that did the belt change yet? (Note I said "Spoken" and not "Shouted at")

Clio 197
I see, and yes I've spoken to them (nicely) and explained the situation. They were shocked that the brand of belt they'd used had broken, as they said they were high quality and hadn't heard of them snapping before. They didn't really suggest much else and I left it as 'we may tow the car back to you' but didn't speak about what would happen afterwards and certainly didn't imply it was their fault.

Clio Sport 172
The auxiliary belt tensioner cost a fortune to buy and from I have read you need a special tool to set. This thing about damaging the cambelt comes as a shock.
Are Renault aiming at producing the worlds most unreliable cars? They certainly are doing a good job.After owning my 172 for two months now I have replaced the cam angle sensor (although I did not upgrade the sensor and the hard staring problem still occurs occasionally. Then I had to replace a bush in gear linkages because the gear selection was not function properly. The trip computer no longer resets and now the climate control no longer works. Not to forget the oil leak in the gearbox, need the two piece seal to fix. What's next ?The car has only done 120,000 kms and was very well serviced.
My patience is wearing thin, the constant "minor" mechanical issues are distracting from the pleasure of driving it. Reckon if this keeps up its time to get rid of it.

What other issues await me??:mad: Do you need to be a masochist to own a Renault ????:(

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Keyless belts aren't anything new Fred Kay, Ford also use them on the Zetec petrol engines and the aux tensioner may cost a fortune if purchased anywhere other than Renault but as of yesterday a 197 aux kit is around £48

02 Iceberg 172
In fairness to Fred Kay, Renault parts here in Australia are nowhere near as cheap as they are in the UK unfortunately.

Clio Sport 172
In Australia we are being quoted far higher prices, $450 for and auxiliary belt. (But we pay far higher prices for everything here). I think I will have to order my parts from the UK! But postage will kill the advantage .

02 Iceberg 172
Even with postage it will generally be cheaper - although will also depend on the exchange rate. There's some excellent traders on here that can help you out with parts etc.

It's annoying when you buy a car and have issues with it, but PH2 172's are now getting up to 13years old - so tbh you can't expect to buy something that age and have nothing go wrong with it. Considering Australian mechanic rates it will help with these cars if you are not afraid to try and fix some things yourself - apart from this forum there is an excellent Guides section which you can access if you are a member and well worth the money. Most traders will also give you discounts for being a member of cliosport as well so will get your membership money back and then some :)

If you haven't found it yet there is also an excellent Australian forum called ozrenaultsport.com which you will probably find useful too. We are a bunch of fairly friendly guys so come and say hi :)