ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cambelt snapped

CJ

Blue ph1 172
Right, yet to be properly diagnosed but I think my cambelt has snapped. Had it changed two weeks ago by a mates father who changed it when he did my head gasket. He is a mechanic and works on the lorries at days ford. If it is the timing belt would I be able to get Renault to pay for the work as it must be the belt that is faulty, I must've done less than 500 miles of driving like a wuss to allow the gasket to settle.

If not anyone wanna buy my car cause I doubt I'll be able to afford to fix the piece of cr*p. Ta:dapprove:

Lionel Richie
i'll buy it off you depending on price

a NEW engine, ready to go straight in is £1250+VAT

second hand you can get them for £350-£600

swapping the engines over isn't that hard

CJ

Blue ph1 172
How many hours labour you reckon??? If I'm swapping the engine, seeing as I'm always looking for more power any other engines that would relatively easily slip in? Aren't you doing a meg 225 conversion.

Caddy Maxi
renault wont pay for s**t cos it wasnt fitted by them, 12 months part guarentee only applies if its fitted by them or a renault approved garage

CJ

Blue ph1 172
I'll probs keep it tbh, just have to borrow money. This year alone it's blown a spark plug and had to have a helicoil fitted, the head gasket blew and now this.

RenaultSport Clio 182 CUP
Iv seen a few complete engines on Ebay go for under £600 from 05 182's etc(3 in the last month). Just buy one and get you mechanic mate to fit if for you

Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique +
cjtheman said:
Should I trust him after this??? lol

I really doubt it was your mechanic mates fault. It was probably a faulty belt. Is there no way you can prove it is faulty and therefore claim for not only the money you spent on it but for the damge it may have done? I would have thought (correct me if I am wrong here) there would be a way of checking to see if the belt had a weak point, therefore proving the belt was of 'inferior quality and not up to the job it was intended for'?

Just a thought.

Why are you not approaching the numpty that seems to have fcuk'd your car. Mate or no mate if he is such a good mechanic, why has it failed. It wouldn't if done properly anyway. Can he show the right reciepts for genuine parts. Need I say more.

Sorry has to be said. As in "why have Renaault got any worries?"

You seem to be royally shafted unless you get the man responsible to deal with it. I know it's friends etc. etc.. Maybe one reason why not to take short cuts.

Hate to be the harbinger of bad news.

Hope you do sort the issue though.

Blaze

Sorry Debz, how is anyone going to prove a faulty belt? Unless obvious. Even then it would need a scientist to do so.

It's all very well and good giving "pleasant" replies, yet reality is where it's at. No way are Renault going to do a scientific experiment, the only option is the fitter as it is his point in the consumer product.

Of course someone could spend HUGE amounts themselves to prove it??????, yet there is no evidence of a faulty part.

Blaze

Renault Clio 172 Ph2
its a ph1 172, whats mileage and age unless im being stupid and someones already typed this. becuase your cars going to be circa 5 years old, and the belt isnt going to last till 72k. i just had mine done at 36k and it was knackered. lucky i done it. a tensioner was shagged.

Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique +
blaze said:
Sorry Debz, how is anyone going to prove a faulty belt? Unless obvious. Even then it would need a scientist to do so.

It's all very well and good giving "pleasant" replies, yet reality is where it's at. No way are Renault going to do a scientific experiment, the only option is the fitter as it is his point in the consumer product.

Of course someone could spend HUGE amounts themselves to prove it??????, yet there is no evidence of a faulty part.

Blaze

It's ok, I do understand your point. I guess there is nothing can be done unless he can 'prove' the mechanic was at fault. I suppose I should not comment on that being as I don't know the guy.

I guess an engine swap might well be a good idea if you have the cash to get one. (if you want to keep the car that is).

Sorry Debz, the first para. was for you, the rest, shall we say is for common sense and all others.

Inother words it was not your pleasant replies I was referring to. Either way the poor bu**er has virtually no realistic chance of any recompence.

Horrible I know, yet realistic.

Blaze

RobHardyUK said:
its a ph1 172, whats mileage and age unless im being stupid and someones already typed this. becuase your cars going to be circa 5 years old, and the belt isnt going to last till 72k. i just had mine done at 36k and it was knackered. lucky i done it. a tensioner was shagged.

If you read it, he said he had it changed last week.

Renault Clio 172 Ph2
yeah i skim read it to quick..

well i can assure you they wont pay for a new engine. they will supply you a new cambelt kit most likely. If say renault acutally done the work at the dealership, then they would have to rectify it.

CB600FS
No exactly the easiest engine todo by a mechanic on the floor with a trolley jack I assume?

Question is did he really change the belt?

If so like others have said, can you prove the belt failed? Send the bill to the place that supplied the belt.

Its most likly the cambelts been done wrongly that why there are special tools to do it.

I don't think the garage/mechanic will pay so your looking at a new engine or new head (engine will probably be the cheaper option. £350 to £600 for a second hand engine then put a new cambelt on it and put it in somehting like 4 hours I think its supposed to take depends what tools etc you have.

CJ

Blue ph1 172
It was changed in december and was fine but had to be changed again when the head gasket was done to avoid this kind of scenario. I'll have to have a chat with him and threaten to fill him in.

Volvo S60 T5
Seen this happen before when I was at Reno (not me I must add), it helps if you tighten the bottom pulley bolt to the correct setting.
Dont go to hard on the bloke he was trying to help you out, if your not used to working on Renault then you are not really gona know exactly what to do and how to set stuff up correctly. If you want any info on the belt and setting drop me a pm and Ile send you the info when I got a spare few mins.