ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

CamBelt spring and Tensioning?

Clio Sport 182
I will shortly be in a position to refit the cam belt to my 182.
I would like to know if the tension is set by the big spring(Does it give a set tension), or if I have to do something else as well!

Secondly, When setting the tension I understand I have to spin the belt 4 times.
Do i do this with all locking tools in, and do I just spin the belt and loose pulleys around?

Thirdly, When tightening the camshaft pulley nuts up, do I leave all of the locking tools in or just the pulley tool?

Thanks for your help

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
I will shortly be in a position to refit the cam belt to my 182.
I would like to know if the tension is set by the big spring(Does it give a set tension), or if I have to do something else as well!

Secondly, When setting the tension I understand I have to spin the belt 4 times.
Do i do this with all locking tools in
, and do I just spin the belt and loose pulleys around?

Thirdly, When tightening the camshaft pulley nuts up, do I leave all of the locking tools in or just the pulley tool?

Thanks for your help

Yeah, you spin it......... with the LOCKING tool in place

:eek:

The word LOCKING gives you an idea about this

Trophy Turbo :)

Hes fully right tho mate, in the book all three pulleys should be loose ;) as in both cam shaft pulleys and the bottom crank pully, and then you turn the engine over ( the engine doesnt move but the belt will and gain the right tension. You then tighten the pullys back up and crank pully ;)

I dont do it like that but its what the Renault guide says

Big spring i think hes on about the Aux belt :)

Clio Sport 182
Sorry I muddled up two posts here!
I meant to ask, Is the aux belt a set tension from the spring?
And, On the cambelt tensioner is it a case of line the arrow with the slot?
Sorry cheers

Clio Sport 182

Yes COCKson, I undestand that a locking tool locks something but i was just asking if the procedure I explained was correct, as someone else has now confirmed.
Why do some people just come on these forums to spout out silly things which aren't at all helpfull?

Thankyou very much to all of you( and there is quite a few) who are willing to help and share their knowledge freely.
It's very much appreciated.
Cheers

Clio Sport 182
I have looked through the procedure in the manual yes.
I just didn't know if I have to turn the crank back before fitting the camshafts to the head to give some clearance to the valves or not!