ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cambelt

Fiesta ST Stage 3
Just looking at the S/H on my car and the cam belt was last done on the 24/08/2008 @ 70,000 miles .

Its only done 30K on the new belt but has been on for just under 5 years .

What do people think as I know its due to be changed every 5 years . Do people keep to this or just the miles on the cam belt ?

Alan

225 Cup & Williams
It's whatever comes first so in your case the 5 years has came before the mileage. I would get it changed mate.

iLikeDuplo

ClioSport Club Member
  Willi/182Cup/265Cup
I'd say get it done... the 2 numbers are as important as each other and it's better than it dying on you...

53 Clio's & counting
100% change it. 72k or 5 years which ever comes first.

Not worth risking your engine, it will cost you a lot more if it breaks

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I'd need extra brave pills to take an RS Clio beyond 5 yrs on a cambelt.

There's far too many regular stories of them failing to make it even worth considering in my opinion.

Fiesta ST Stage 3
Ah ok another bill :)

Any good places that can do it in West Sussex as I know you need the correct tools .

Also how much £350 ish ?

The dephaser pulley is not making any noise but I have no bills to say it has ever been done .

Alan

I'd need extra brave pills to take an RS Clio beyond 5 yrs on a cambelt.

There's far too many regular stories of them failing to make it even worth considering in my opinion.

Mec 350 slk manual
Ah ok another bill :) Any good places that can do it in West Sussex as I know you need the correct tools . Also how much £350 ish ? The dephaser pulley is not making any noise but I have no bills to say it has ever been done . Alan
more than £350 with both belt kits & dephaser fitted .

330i. E30 Touring.
Don't bother mate. Especially if it's a bit of a shed.

Cambelt and dephaser is £500.

New engine is £250. I'll fit it for beer money should it go pop.

Changes to often
im having mine done+ dephaser pully on tuesday by dimond motors, its on 80k now, had the belts done at 49k but it was 5 years ago, so im not going to risk it

Fiesta ST Stage 3
LOL assuming its a shed LOL

£ 500 for all the belts and dephaser that is a fair bit but have all ready spent a few quid on all bits like shocks springs breaks RS tuner etc .

Alan
Don't bother mate. Especially if it's a bit of a shed.

Cambelt and dephaser is £500.

New engine is £250. I'll fit it for beer money should it go pop.

iLikeDuplo

ClioSport Club Member
  Willi/182Cup/265Cup
Ah ok another bill :)

Any good places that can do it in West Sussex as I know you need the correct tools .

Also how much £350 ish ?

The dephaser pulley is not making any noise but I have no bills to say it has ever been done .

Alan

I like in west sussex (near eg) although my profile says something else, I got mine done @ bromby and evans in tonbridge (absolutely brilliant place) for about 550. Very good job and deal, especially considering renault will want 1100 ex vat... I'm going to see them tomorrow if you want me to ask a price...

Fiesta ST Stage 3
Yeah thanks mate that would be good if you can

Alan
I like in west sussex (near eg) although my profile says something else, I got mine done @ bromby and evans in tonbridge (absolutely brilliant place) for about 550. Very good job and deal, especially considering renault will want 1100 ex vat... I'm going to see them tomorrow if you want me to ask a price...

330i. E30 Touring.
Alan- why not come up to S & MWM?

They're known, reputable and cheap.

If you need to fill the day, i'll lend you one of my fleet to roll about in. (;

Fiesta ST Stage 3
Car is on 105K so im thinking this is going to be a good plan to do them all as it will be double the price it the thing gives up after the belts are done .

Your choice. Can you afford to have your belts done again if its starts chattering away in 6 months? I've known them do over 130k,'I've known them fail at 50k.

Renault clio 2005
I have phoned several garages. About Cambelt replacement and have had different responses. out of the 5 garages I called 3 said it was mileage that is important and not the age 2 said age was equally as important. One of the garages phoned said they had a ph2 clio 1.2 in that had was 9 years old and had done 98k and was on original cambelt and when they did a visual inspection the cambelt was in good condition and did not need changing. I am more inclined to say that mileage is more important than age. But I would not want to risk going over 70k on a cambelt.

I have phoned several garages. About Cambelt replacement and have had different responses. out of the 5 garages I called 3 said it was mileage that is important and not the age 2 said age was equally as important. One of the garages phoned said they had a ph2 clio 1.2 in that had was 9 years old and had done 98k and was on original cambelt and when they did a visual inspection the cambelt was in good condition and did not need changing. I am more inclined to say that mileage is more important than age. But I would not want to risk going over 70k on a cambelt.

I wouldn't trust a visual inspection of a belt ffs. I changed one a few weeks ago that looked fine but had started to tear!

FF Clio 182
They are renault guidelines for a reason. I'm not saying the belts won't be ok over the time/mileage guideline but that's the risk you take. For a 182 it's about £600 all in for belts etc so if you don't do it and they snap, then £600 for belts changed is going to sound like a better amount to be paying ;)

Lionel Richie
heat cycles is what kills them (ie age) milage is irrelevant really, i've never seen a belt snap on one, its the plastic idlers that fail first (or the kit has been fitted wrong 90% of the time LOL!

225 Cup & Williams
heat cycles is what kills them (ie age) milage is irrelevant really, i've never seen a belt snap on one, its the plastic idlers that fail first (or the kit has been fitted wrong 90% of the time LOL!

It was one of the idlers that failed on my 172.

iLikeDuplo

ClioSport Club Member
  Willi/182Cup/265Cup

Just had an idler on my 182 replaced!

iLikeDuplo

ClioSport Club Member
  Willi/182Cup/265Cup
Hi mate, got you a quote this morning for cam and aux belt + dephaser... 575.04 ex VAT. Not necessarily the cheapest but the work is impeccable.

FF Clio 182
Hi mate, got you a quote this morning for cam and aux belt + dephaser... 575.04 ex VAT. Not necessarily the cheapest but the work is impeccable.

Mate got his 172 cup booked into BTM on the 29th for all belts and dephaser done what comes to about £475. Got the 182 booked in also ;)

FF Clio 182
Just take it to Fred at BTM he will sort you out. Heard nothing but good things about them hence the 2 hour drive there on the 29th :) nearly all of the garages on here are good reputable garages that won't rip you off.