ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cams, a bit of advice please!

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
So my car's booked in for its belts/5 year service in January. I thought while these are being done it'd be a good time to get some cams stuck in. Now with the resale value etc I don't really think spending 6-700 + a map on some new Catcams or the like is worth it so I decided 197 cams would be a good idea as I've read they're cheapish.

Problem is I haven't a clue where to get them! Is it just something I can get from Renault or somewhere else?
Any advice would be good. I'd also consider any other decent options as long as they don't cost the earth.

Cheers

Reactions: DrR

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Yeh I do a cam package for £1099 fitted and mapped

Thanks for the offer fella, but I've already got it booked in somewhere nearer to me. Somerset is a little to far really:confused:. Do you sell cams on their own at all?

@Cub. Would love some catcams but I just can't justify that much cost. If I was spending that kind of money then I think I'd start leaning towards an RS2 kit so I can sell it on at some point. 197 cams would be a reasonable price to keep the interest in the Clio's going..

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
@Cub. I'm paying 600-650 including the rest of the 5y service bits (from a trader on here) and figured some 197 cams and a map would come in at around the same price as Dan. Only problem is 'said trader' is now struggling to get hold of some 197 cams:disappointed:.

@Cub. I'm paying 600-650 including the rest of the 5y service bits (from a trader on here) and figured some 197 cams and a map would come in at around the same price as Dan. Only problem is 'said trader' is now struggling to get hold of some 197 cams:disappointed:.
Can you use the std timing slots on the 197 cams? I thought you needed to set them differently due to the different amount of advance you get between 197 and 1*2. Not 100% but I'd check before you go ahead.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Can you use the std timing slots on the 197 cams? I thought you needed to set them differently due to the different amount of advance you get between 197 and 1*2. Not 100% but I'd check before you go ahead.

They do need doing differently but the place it's booked in are able to do that. It was him that suggested getting them as the cheaper option.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Awesome! Was it really 5 years ago the belts were done.

Ph1
Your garage must have had a bad experience and based it on that. Check out the thread i did on the a few years back. Torque was awesome (with other breathing mods granted). Saw off some decent gear on the 1/4 mile too, Focus RS, MR2 Turbo, Golf R32 etc etc with full interior and some ICE in the boot.. Zero loss of mpg as well and all from a set of 300 quid cams. Only down side was it could be a bit lumpy on idle.