ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

camshaft / crank shaft oil leak?!?

A

ashy_gtt

Gents, it looks like the wifes 182 has developed an oil leak... I've had a quick look and its coming from the crankshaft side of the engine. I've popped the top engine mount off and its a bit oily under there... To investigate further I wanted to pop the cam pulley cover off but I can't get the fecking thing off cos the alternator bracket is in the way.

I've done the same job before on my R5 but it was easier as I use a different alternator tensioner. Does anyone have any tips to get the pulley cover off easily without having to remove the aux belt?!

This is the cover I'm talking about.

DSCF3167.JPG

Thread HERE

Cheers Ashy.

Volvo S60 T5
nope, aux belt off then you can get the bracket off which allows the cover to come off.
No other way of doing it, its easy anyway so what the problem.

ITB'd MK1
you'll need to get the aux belt off. My money's on the wrong cam seal being fitted to the inlet cam and the VVT pulley has crushed it

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
It's a pig of a job which ever seal has gone.

But I suppose we'll find out on sat, be sure to stock up on tea bags and biscuit :)

ITB'd MK1
oh, BTW, you should replace the cambelt primarily because of the oil soaking it's had. It'll rot it. so you'll need to remove the whole lot anyway

A

ashy_gtt

nope, aux belt off then you can get the bracket off which allows the cover to come off.
No other way of doing it, its easy anyway so what the problem.

Theres no problem, just thought i'd ask the question :nono:

A

ashy_gtt

I was going to replace it anyway, like you say for the cost its not worth risking... Just the oil rots your belt myth always makes me giggle. :approve:

A

ashy_gtt

Well thats eventually sorted, big thanks to Stevieh for the use of his genuine Reno locking tools (sooo much easier) and the help over the weekend! And Fred@BTM for the Ph2 pulley :star:

Good to have helpfull guys in the club :)

LY 182
oil does rot belts! seen it loads before had a toyota rav4 recently serviced it at 20k no leaks at all..in the space of 10k miles it developed a leak from a cam seal turned the cambelt to mush and bent all the valves..

happens all the time

ITB'd MK1
na i'll bet on dephaser seal (behind the pulley)

speaking of which i saw a cracker last week. Took the dephaser off and the seal had been rubbing on the pulley so pulled it out to fit a new one.....and there was another seal behind it :dead: wrong one too, exhaust cam seal. oh and the exhaust cam seal was pushed in as far as it would go. monkeys.

Lionel Richie
seen that too, renault main dealer had installed his cams and whacked 2 seals behind the dephaser! i chuckled!

A

ashy_gtt

it was actually the exhaust cam, it was badly worn around the area that the seal locates allowing the oil to leak out but only slightly! Luckily I had a spare 182 engine to pinch the cams from.

Admitidly the new exhaust seal did get pushed in slightly further than I would of liked but I cant see it doing any harm... Glad to be back at work tbh working on cars gives me a bad back :S