ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Can’t tax my 1yr old clio ’cos of Renault

Titanium ph1 turbo

I came to tax my clio (1 yr old now) and realised that I havnt recieved the logbook since I bought it, I went to the post office hoping to fill in a V10 but the laws have changed and they wouldnt issue me a tax disc.

I rang DVLA who confirmed the car is still registered to the supplier, and it will cost me £19 to have it put under my own name. I then rang renault explaining because the registration docs hadnt gone to DVLA from themselves when I bought the car, I cant tax the car for 4-6 weeks whilst this gets sorted out, hence I cant use the car in fear of fines etc.

I know in the past if you didnt have a logbook, you could just fill in a V10 to say you had lost it, but could still get a tax disc, this is still the case providing you are the registered owner, but im not through no fault of my own ?

Ive since faxed them a letter requesting they offer a practical solution to all this, who do you think is in the right/wrong ?

to be honest u can still use ur car, just exaplin to the police if u got pulled that ur awaiting your tax through post "that old one ;)"

if u got a fine when parked, surely the fine wouldnt be issued to u? becaused ur not the registered owner at the moment ;)

Clio 1.6 16v 2003

u get 8 weeks to tax now the new law has come in place, as its an automated system which flags it up.

Titanium ph1 turbo

well, according to the DVLA, the person on the registration document recieves any DVLA fines, that still wont stop the coppers giving me their own £30 fine should I get stopped.

I was also told today that if you dont tax within 8 days its an automatic £40 fine doubling or something if its not paid within a certain period ?? (again, going to the registered owner), what happens if they change me over in the meantime, do I end up getting the fine, or them, or what ?!!? even DVLA couldnt answer that one when I asked.

GR7

Shiny red R32

First of all I thought that if seen without a valid tax disc you will get an instant fine of £60 (I think that is the amount). But I dont know who would be liable to pay - the driver or the owner. If the owner, then as kingJimBob said, you arent listed as the registered keeper so the dealer should pay any fine incurred! ;)

GR7

Shiny red R32

Quote: Originally posted by chris79 on 07 May 2004

well, according to the DVLA, the person on the registration document recieves any DVLA fines, that still wont stop the coppers giving me their own £30 fine should I get stopped.

I was also told today that if you dont tax within 8 days its an automatic £40 fine doubling or something if its not paid within a certain period ?? (again, going to the registered owner), what happens if they change me over in the meantime, do I end up getting the fine, or them, or what ?!!? even DVLA couldnt answer that one when I asked.

Maybe the dealer would give you a taxed sale car to use until yours gets sorted, since it is their fault that the document didnt get sent to Swansea.

GR7

Shiny red R32

New Vehicle Registration Certificate (V5C)
From 6 January 2004 anyone applying for a Registration Document (V5) will receive a new style Registration Certificate (V5C). During the period 6 January to 31 May 2004 anyone expecting a registration document when they have -

Purchased a new/used vehicle

Applied for a duplicate document

Notified DVLA of a change of details
will be issued with a new style Registration Certificate.

From 1 June 2004 the new certificate will be sent automatically to vehicle keepers shortly after they tax their vehicle or make a Statutory Off Road Notification (http://www.dvla.gov.uk/vehicles/vehlicnc.htm#i3U color=#0000ffSORN/U). By the end of June 2005 the majority of registered keepers should have received a new style registration certificate. An extensive publicity campaign will be launched in May 2005 to encourage all vehicle keepers who have not received the new Registration Certificate to inform DVLA.

From 1 July 2005 all existing V5 registration documents will be invalidated. This will not affect entitlement to registration marks. Motorists who have a valid claim on a vehicle and its registration mark will not be disadvantaged. The http://www.dvla.gov.uk/vehicles/regoldnm.htmU color=#0000ffV765 scheme/U which enables old vehicles to be re-united with their original registration marks, will be unaffected by these changes.

WHY CHANGE?
The new registration certificate has been developed to comply with European Directive 1999/37/EC, agreed by all Member States, which provides for the introduction of a common format for registration certificates. This will help with the identification of vehicles in international traffic and be used for re-registration throughout the European Union.

RECEIPT OF THE NEW REGISTRATION CERTIFICATE
The Registration Certificate (V5C) is an important document and should be kept in a safe place together with the Guidance Notes (INS 160). Vehicle keepers still in possession of the old V5 registration document should destroy it on receipt of the new registration certificate.

Motorists should ensure that all details on their new registration certificate are correct. If there are any inaccuracies the registration certificate, V5C, must be returned to DVLA for amendment. The Guidance Notes (INS 160) that accompany the V5C provide information on how to do this.

how long did it take u to type that our girlracer ;)

im too tired to reead all that but pretty sure the answer is in there chris, sorted. whatever is not your fault at the end of the day so they should either pay any fines or sort u out somehow

GazTwo

ClioSport Club Member
  Blue c/w Gold Wheels

When u purchase a car second hand u fill in the top part to show the new details and the old owner should send that off and u keep the bottom part which has your details hand written on and u can use this to tax a vehicle if your logbook hasnt arrived in time.

Im sure they sould have something like that for a new vehicle as then u have proof its your vehicle until the logbook arrives.

GazTwo

ClioSport Club Member
  Blue c/w Gold Wheels

If they cant provide the above u want an equivalent or better car until u have the tax disc showing in your windscreen. I would not accept to drive about in anything less than yours for 6 weeks.

They are really strict on tax these days, if u havent taxed your vehicle within a month of it expiring they will be round to clamp it and put a big sticker on your window whether u have been driving it or not as u now have to declare your vehicle of the road.

u dont need tax if its registerd to a renault garage! they pay sum mad amount for cars owned to them to be taxed thru the company!

thier fault not ures! plus with the new law that has come in u can do them! fone renault and state the law that is now in place and tell them if its not sorted u r takin them to court! (u will hav to find off dvla the law u need)

renault will sh*t bricks ull see!

yea its def their responsibility!

1000000000000000000000000000000000% certain, u have no worries chris, ive im wrong u can chop.............................. ^^^^ his balls off

dk

911 GTS Cab

arent you all mssing the point here though, personally I dont think Renault are totally to blame, surely it is your responsibility to make sure you have the registration document and it shouldnt have taken you a year to realise that you didnt have one. In my mind it is the most important document you need to sort out when you are buying a car!

Renault may have sent it and it got lost in the post or the DVLA lost it in processing, then Renault would have to assume you have received it if you havent contacted them.

Sorry to be bad cop here, but personally I do think you are partly to blame for not making sure you had the form after a month of ownership.

Titanium ph1 turbo

fair comment dave, I did contact Renault back before christmas, I was told that it was ok and that I just have to fill in a V10 at the post office in order to get a duplicate copy of the log book sent, but Id also be able to get tax by doing this. This is fine in principle if your the registered keeper, but because Im not I cant use this method, hence the reason I put off filling in the V10 until I next went to get tax.

In all its bad timing with the changes in the law to taxing which came in in february. I still think Renault are somewhat to blame, the question is did they or didnt they send off the logbook when I bought the car.

Ive just taxed mine. Spoke to Thames Valley Police and they told me that from the date the tax runs out - you have 14 days within which to buy new tax - after that the DVLA will have words. If your car is not taxed - you MUST NOT drive it coz if you do the police can just fine you there and then and claim that coz yourtax isnt valid - neither is your insurance!!!!!!

dk

911 GTS Cab

i see your point Chris, maybe if they didnt send it off the dealer still has it and you can get them to tax the car for you, even if you give them the money, at least that will mean you can drive your car

[Edited by dave182 on 07 May 2004 at 4:16pm]

Bad luck. Whos to blame? Well I think Renault, even the excuse about getting a V10 is lame (even if it was a possibility before xmas), and definately poor customer service. Id try for the curtesy car angle, but dont forget to try and claim for other costs that you may have to pay even though you cant drive your own car, insurance is the one that comes to mind.

The new laws about road tax are very strict, and youd be a fool to break them. If you dont tax your car or declare the off road notification you will receive a fine, it is even possible to have your car confiscated and for you to serve time in prison!

The new system will flag up any untaxed car even if it is just 1 day past its renewal date. The 14 day period of grace is a local DVLA office thing and NOT an entitlement, given by the DVLA until they consider everyone has had enough time to find out what the new laws are. Remember too that it is an offence not to display a tax disc, and AFAIK it is the DRIVER who is responsible, although any official paperwork will obviously be sent to the registered keeper.

Quite a timely question really as my sister works for the DVLA, and I only went to a presentation she gave about the new laws and how the DVLA systems work last week.

Titanium ph1 turbo

EightBall, any chance your sister could process my V62 personally for me ASAP? Ill send her a tenner in the post. :p

Ive had no response off the Renault Dealers to the faxed letter I sent them, I dont think theyre interested in helping me out here. I think im going to just play it safe and lock my car in the garage until the new V5C comes in the post. Im also unsure whether or not I should send in a SORN delceration because technically im not the registered keeper yet ??

At the end of the day if you drive the car on the road its YOUR responsibility. You choose to drive it without tax no matter whos fault it is.

I work for the DVLA in Swansea by the way.

If your tax is out you dont have ANY grace days etc. you have 14 days to keep the car off the road, in those 14 days you can legally keep it OFF the rad without declaring S.O.R.N.

In no circumstances WHATSOEVER can you drive it on the road without tax, your fault or not.

Sorry.

Titanium ph1 turbo

cheers chrisba, do you know then if it is myself who should declare SORN or the registered keeper (the renault dealers) in the meantime until the documents get transferred into my own name ?

RB 197 Cup

yea renault didnt send me the insurance certificate so when i came to get the tax i couldnt get it cause of no certificate so had to wait a few days for it to arrive in the post.

If I have missed this from any of the above posts I am sorry, but if the car is still registered with the supplier, should they not have had renewal notice for your tax???

Titanium ph1 turbo

According to the Renault dealers it is registered to the company who provides renault with the car to sell to me ?? ... they said the company went bust and that theyve had loads of problems with them, however in the letter I sent to them I stated that my contract was with themselves, not the supplier company.

The car could be registered to the lease company that renault got it off. As far as declaring SORN goes, your ok NOT to do that. You cant actually declare SORN unless you are the registered keeper anyway, if you send in an application they will reject it.

Hope this helps.