ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Can’t catch a break!!

t90_lle

East of England
ClioSport Area Rep
I mean really what is going on with the 1*2 prices!!
I recently missed out on buying my turbo 172 back cheap because I hesitated and the past week I’ve missed out on 2 Artic blues, an inferno and 2 silver 182s all for around 2-3k mark.
I appreciate the fact that manufactures don’t make cars like it no more but like I said the prices and “taxes” applied to certain colours is crazy! Bring back the good old days! And prices!! 😂
Rant over

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
They’re still cheap at £3k, stop pi55ing about it’ll only get worse.

My mate is after one (and the bloke has a collection of exotica so not exactly short of a few bob) but because I paid £1500 for my last one he’s got this mental block that he can’t pay more than that.

I get so much enjoyment from my 172 I can’t even tell you, I’ve driven loads of cars and they’re worth every penny of £5k for a mint low miler.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Yeah I couldn't bring myself to pay more for less so ended up giving up for now.

Just missed out on one which would've been perfect for me as well, nothing else came close in the weeks I was looking for.

t90_lle

East of England
ClioSport Area Rep
They’re still cheap at £3k, stop pi55ing about it’ll only get worse.

My mate is after one (and the bloke has a collection of exotica so not exactly short of a few bob) but because I paid £1500 for my last one he’s got this mental block that he can’t pay more than that.

I get so much enjoyment from my 172 I can’t even tell you, I’ve driven loads of cars and they’re worth every penny of £5k for a mint low miler.
See that’s what I paid for my 172 an I have the same mental block!! Haha
Those of us with decent 1*2’s should be pleased with posts like this. I mean I hope you get one, but they deserve to be creeping up in value consistently nowadays.
Creeping is fine but they’ve just took off into orbit! An colour tax is crazy!
Yeah I couldn't bring myself to pay more for less so ended up giving up for now.

Just missed out on one which would've been perfect for me as well, nothing else came close in the weeks I was looking for.
Think I may have to give up for a while, someone has offered me one super cheap but has issues. Could be worth sorting an punting out for 5k! 😂

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
Reading posts like this make me wish I never sold mine because for the age and mileage it was a tidy example, just needed money spending on the belts and a rear arch was starting to bubble but other than that it was decent.

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Getting to the 20 year age bracket so they will start shooting up.

If you think nice 205s are selling for 30k then a nice example of the Clio in a decent colour selling for 5-10k makes sense.

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
Getting to the 20 year age bracket so they will start shooting up.

If you think nice 205s are selling for 30k then a nice example of the Clio in a decent colour selling for 5-10k makes sense.

This is what I always think. Aside from the steering feel the Clio is a much better car. No way is a 205 GTI worth more than a 1*2 to drive. I had them back 25 years ago and they were ropey even then. The 1.9 promised so much when you touched the throttle then it was just flat and characterless the way it revved.

2014 Clio 200t edc
my last two 172’s were had for £800 and £650 respectively. Admittedly the first one was 5 years ago, but it had turinis, a nice exhaust and an maxogen carbon kit! Couldn’t sell it when I tried to, no one wanted it! Wish I’d kept it.

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
my last two 172’s were had for £800 and £650 respectively. Admittedly the first one was 5 years ago, but it had turinis, a nice exhaust and an maxogen carbon kit! Couldn’t sell it when I tried to, no one wanted it! Wish I’d kept it.

Turinis aren’t far off that now.

It does make you reluctant when you see prices but it’s all relative. Hopefully if you’re a petrolhead then the other purchases you make inflate too... unless you’ve gone into some mundane POS to ‘save money’ which is usually code for lose £10k in depreciation.

Clio182mike

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I just sold my 182 on ebay for £2300 so I think it's a bit of a myth about how much they are worth and going up etc. It's only worth what people are willing to pay. It was a 7 day auction with no reserve 99p Start so everyone who was watching or bidding had every chance to win it. I find cars are only worth more when we own them but when looking to buy they are not worth as much. I think good ones are probably worth half decent money. Mine wasn't a gem bodywork wise but the engine has to be one of the rare ones that hasn't had a hard life whatsoever. The only downfall was I had no paperwork for any previous work as there was none. I suppose that's the only risk when you buy from a friend who owns his own garage business.

Hope you do find one soon though.

Crazylegs

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
My 182 is low mileage and with an excellent history in really good condition on an 06 plate. I'm asking around £6000 for it personally as they are going up in value now, especially near standard low mileage examples. They're absolutely worth every penny, won't be long before cars like this start fetching over 10k like NA Type R's.

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
My 182 is low mileage and with an excellent history in really good condition on an 06 plate. I'm asking around £6000 for it personally as they are going up in value now, especially near standard low mileage examples. They're absolutely worth every penny, won't be long before cars like this start fetching over 10k like NA Type R's.
What colour is it and where do you have it listed?

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
@T9 0LLE if I recall correctly your Monaco was a bloody good price at the time. I also recall saying you were mad to sell it🤣. Are you after a certain colour or would any good condition one fill the void?

t90_lle

East of England
ClioSport Area Rep
@T9 0LLE if I recall correctly your Monaco was a bloody good price at the time. I also recall saying you were mad to sell it🤣. Are you after a certain colour or would any good condition one fill the void?
Yeah I know I almost brought it but but slept on it an when I messaged guy again in morning it was gone 😢

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
They haven’t really gone mad price wise, just the rarer colours as people scrabble to grab hold of them before the expected sky rocket of prices. Which actually won’t really matter when they are rare and collectible. £2500 will buy you a reasonable one in silver, black or arctic. I think that’s not bad, the life cycle of 1*2 is now on the usual hot hatch rise following a period of flat lining. It’s a good thing really, especially if you already own one. I’d drop the money before it all goes mental

On the hunt!
Cheap Clios are a false economy anyway. I just bought a silver Phase 1 for £1,750, but then I’ve spent another nearly £7K replacing pretty much every nut and bolt on top of a Cambelt service!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Cheap Clios are a false economy anyway. I just bought a silver Phase 1 for £1,750, but then I’ve spent another nearly £7K replacing pretty much every nut and bolt on top of a Cambelt service!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm about 6.5K into the oddy now including mods and purchase cost of the car.... So yeah, money gets spent! Lol

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Aye I bought mine for £400 but I spent more than that on a belt + dephaser kit and engine mounts 😂

If you pick up a £1500 snotter you're going to need to spend some brass on it to get it even remotely nice!

To achieve top money I'd like to see pics of the usual corrosion points. I'm thinking Filler Cap, Sills, Jacking points, Rear Spring Mounts, Rear Arches etc.

Crazylegs

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Wtf happened to the climate panel? And honestly, carbon dipped parts on a £6k car just don't cut it imo.
Not sure tbh bud, it was like that when I bought it.

I quite like the Carbon parts but appreciate they're not OEM so won't be to everyone's taste. Again they were on it when I bought it.

Crazylegs

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
To achieve top money I'd like to see pics of the usual corrosion points. I'm thinking Filler Cap, Sills, Jacking points, Rear Spring Mounts, Rear Arches etc.
I'm happy to take pics of the filler cap and rear arches, in fact I've already got pics so I'll upload them.

I can try and get pics of the jacking mounts etc but I don't have a ramp so might prove difficult. I'd have thought if there were any rust issues there then it would have been picked up when it has its Mot in February.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah I think it's getting to the point where buyers need to be checking for rust on mk2's unfortunately. And where the advice was budget for a suspension refresh maybe now it should be budget for rust treatment.

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
Yeah I think it's getting to the point where buyers need to be checking for rust on mk2's unfortunately. And where the advice was budget for a suspension refresh maybe now it should be budget for rust treatment.
I have said it a few times now, but rust is going to be a bigger killer to 1*2’s then the part time breakers over the next couple of years. Unless people start tackling it now there are going to be some hefty bills in the future. I did the inner rear arches on mine this weekend. NS was basically perfect, OS needed a bit of fettle. Another year or so and it would be a blooming mess.

it’s why I tackled the shitty Rusty bits before all the nice to look at stuff. I’m under no illusion I have only really delayed the inevitable as it’s impossible to really sort unless you replace panels. I have the rear beam ready to fit once I get a garage back at that point I’ll drop the tank as well as that really is a potential issue area. The amount of people who are buying clio based on them being RB rather than a sound chassis is scary! I will have mine all sorted by the end of the summer, at which point I will then start on the bling bits. my order of priority:
1) Rust and chassis integrity
2) suspension and running gear refresh
3) mechanical - full strip down and engine/gear box refresh
4) flashy bits.

just makes my project thread boring for people I guess

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
I have said it a few times now, but rust is going to be a bigger killer to 1*2’s then the part time breakers over the next couple of years. Unless people start tackling it now there are going to be some hefty bills in the future. I did the inner rear arches on mine this weekend. NS was basically perfect, OS needed a bit of fettle. Another year or so and it would be a blooming mess.

it’s why I tackled the shitty Rusty bits before all the nice to look at stuff. I’m under no illusion I have only really delayed the inevitable as it’s impossible to really sort unless you replace panels. I have the rear beam ready to fit once I get a garage back at that point I’ll drop the tank as well as that really is a potential issue area. The amount of people who are buying clio based on them being RB rather than a sound chassis is scary! I will have mine all sorted by the end of the summer, at which point I will then start on the bling bits. my order of priority:
4) flashy bits.

It's not boring mate, my most common search is rust treatment now😂.

MLB

ClioSport Club Member

4) flashy bits.

Will you be changing your username as well then when you're done?

Clio 182 FF

I'd echo quite a lot of the comments in this thread.

The problem with the rust on these is that the common areas are quiet well hidden and those that are visible wouldn't be flagged in an MOT. I'm talking about places that are well documented on here like front bumper brackets, inner sills, pockets above the rear beam, the area above the fuel tank etc. These hidden areas are what are going to cause the big bills and headaches for owners in the future. If paying top money for a 1*2 I'd certainly want see evidence of these areas being clean or treated - regardless of mileage as there was little/ if any rust protection from the the factory.

I'd say based on my recent experience of hunting down a 182, in todays market you'll be looking at at least 2k plus for any 182 with an MOT and could easily put another 1 - 2k into it to get it to a reasonable standard.

Crazylegs

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I'd echo quite a lot of the comments in this thread.

The problem with the rust on these is that the common areas are quiet well hidden and those that are visible wouldn't be flagged in an MOT. I'm talking about places that are well documented on here like front bumper brackets, inner sills, pockets above the rear beam, the area above the fuel tank etc. These hidden areas are what are going to cause the big bills and headaches for owners in the future. If paying top money for a 1*2 I'd certainly want see evidence of these areas being clean or treated - regardless of mileage as there was little/ if any rust protection from the the factory.

I'd say based on my recent experience of hunting down a 182, in todays market you'll be looking at at least 2k plus for any 182 with an MOT and could easily put another 1 - 2k into it to get it to a reasonable standard.
Not being funny but I bought the car to drive it. I'm not going to spend time ripping off bumpers and other pieces of the car. When I bought it I went off the trust of the dealer and AM Performance are highly regarded in the Renault community, so I'm totally confident mine personally is in top condition, obviously nothing is a given.

I do get where you're coming from totally but not all cars are going to be shitters and mine certainly isn't. As mentioned in my for sale ad, I'm more than happy for people to Jack the car up and inspect it as much as possible but I'm certainly not having anyone tear off bumpers and skirts etc.

Last edited:

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
Not being funny but I bought the car to drive it. I'm not going to spend time ripping off bumpers and other pieces of the car. When I bought it I went off the trust of the dealer and AM Performance are highly regarded in the Renault community, so I'm totally confident mine personally is in top condition, obviously nothing is a given.

I do get where you're coming from totally but not all cars are going to be shitters and mine certainly isn't. As mentioned in my for sale ad, I'm more than happy for people to Jack the car up and inspect it as much as possible but I'm certainly not having anyone tear off bumpers and skirts etc.
Are they highly regarded? That’s not a loaded statement by the way, a genuine question! I see them flipping cars on faceache, but not much on here.

Have to agree, even at 5-6k clios are still cheap old cars. There is plenty you can see by jacking the car up. I don’t think there is a huge need to strip bumpers or side skirts off. I would be interested in seeing the inside of the rear door cards. As that is a sign the inner sill/wings are failing. Most of the clio rust issues are around the back end of the car so you could get a good view but never comprehensive.

I think if I was selling my car now and asking top money I would be supplying photographs of the risky areas and any clio over £5k in my opinion is top, top money

Are they highly regarded? That’s not a loaded statement by the way, a genuine question! I see them flipping cars on faceache, but not much on here.

Have to agree, even at 5-6k clios are still cheap old cars. There is plenty you can see by jacking the car up. I don’t think there is a huge need to strip bumpers or side skirts off. I would be interested in seeing the inside of the rear door cards. As that is a sign the inner sill/wings are failing. Most of the clio rust issues are around the back end of the car so you could get a good view but never comprehensive.

I think if I was selling my car now and asking top money I would be supplying photographs of the risky areas and any clio over £5k in my opinion is top, top money
Completely agree. No one is knocking Crazy Legs car or expecting him to remove bumpers etc.

You can get a good view of most of the usual suspects for rust without even jacking the car up.

Crazy Legs can’t be expected to ask for 6k for a standard 182 and not have the car come under intense scrutiny. Most of that scrutiny can be nipped in the bud by providing clear pics of the areas we have discussed.

Also, just because a Dealer got X amount for a car doesn’t mean a private seller can achieve the same or more IMO.

Crazylegs

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Thanks for the info chaps. How do I access the inner door cards and also where at the rear needs checking and I'll try and get some photos?

I'm not very mechanically minded so aren't the best when it comes to taking things apart. Are they difficult things to take off the door cards?