ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Can anyone on here design websites?

172 & RSi
After some advice really on creating a new website.

Its probably quite advanced, as its a brand new website needing a search facility etc. for a new company/idea I've been having.

The idea is that the site will be a place to buy & sell certain products online, in the same way that sites like AutoTrader and Pistonheads work i.e. Person A advertises their item on the site, and Person B, who wants that item, contacts them and arranges to buy it.

It will need a database of the items that are currently advertised for sale, this will obviously need to be able to be added to when a new item is listed, and also searchable so that people can find the items.

Anybody any ideas on what sort of prices I would be looking at for the full build from start to finish? I have already made some mock up pages using Serif WebPlus if thats any use.

Anyone on here deal with this sort of thing or know anyone that does?

Cheers

Formally Clio 182
Sounds complicated (as in quite a big and expensive job) and would need to be programmed using something like PHP and MySQL.

No point in reinventing the wheel and being a startup you want to keep costs low so why not get an Open Source (FREE) Classified Ad web package which you can install onto your web hosting.

There's a content management system called Joomla which has a classified ad add-on: http://extensions.joomla.org/component/option,com_mtree/task,listcats/cat_id,1763/Itemid,35/ or Noahs Classified Software: http://noahsclassifieds.org/

Demo of noahs here: http://www.noahsclassifieds.org/v8ecomm/cars

The idea is that the site will be a place to buy & sell certain products online, in the same way that sites like AutoTrader and Pistonheads work i.e. Person A advertises their item on the site, and Person B, who wants that item, contacts them and arranges to buy it.

Sorry for being cynical, but isn't this eBay?

Blown up 182 & Mondeo TDI
Depends how advanced you want it, there are loads of scripts available that do what your after. Search the usual supects (hotscripts.com etc) and your away

172 & RSi
Thanks for the advice people.

Does anyone have a rough idea of cost for both building the site, and a domain/hosting too?

I just hope I can find someone who knows enough to be able to build it to the above spec, as its not something I would be able to do myself I don't think.
It just basically needs to be like an autotrader or pistonheads, but for something other than cars...

Any other advice would be appreciated too.

Thanks

None :(
Hosting is cheap as chips, thats something u wont really have to worry about. There's lots of options. Get your own hosting, get your own 1u server, get your own VM on a big server (thats cheap), use a mates server (mine for example), its the building of the site which is harder/complex thing to sort.

When im next working day shift's (2 weeks ish+) i can ask around at work if anyone is willing to do one at a good price. I imagine it aint the easiest site in the world to build, but to some it might be, but its just time consuming, personally i couldnt say an exact cost on how much it would cost to build.

EEK i just did a quick google on website design, my days it cost's a lot more than i thought! some people charging 2k!

I'll be at FCS if u wanna talk about the hosting side of things, or pm.

Regards

RenaultSport clio 182
Hi, I'm a software engineer and previously managed a development team that made an e-commerce platform in the financial services industry. It really depends on how sophisticated you want / need the solution to be. The devil really is in the detail here. I would happy to spend some time going through some options with you to give you more idea of what would be involved, just send me a PM.

Gareth

172, Tiguan
I would expect any reputable company to charge you 5 figures for a site like that. It doesn't strike me as a website you'd want Mr "I do a few sites in my spare time" to build.

It'd need proper planning and proper wireframing before you even think about design and build.

You're looking at a Content Management System as well and personally I'd want to see one that is already handling that kind of workload.

Jon