ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Can Overrun map cause Damage!

John Gordon

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 2.0 RS 172 Ph1
I can't afford to pour fuel down my exhaust just for s***s and giggles. Plus I don't think I could drive through town with my car making that kinda racket. Its bad enough with the exhaust it has on it at the moment, I cringe as people turn round and stare.

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
I know it's a different car, but ALL 106 GTI's will pop and bang on the overrun with a decat, it's the way they are mapped from the factory

It's fantastic fun and always puts a grin on my face

Never heard of a 106 blowing up because of it? So I'm sure if you had it properly mapped and didn't go stupid it shouldn't be a problem

I heard what sounded like a Rice Kirspie factory being hit by a tsunami on a stretch of dual carriageway in summer. I turned around to see a 106GTI piloted by Devo The Chav.

That noise simply can't have been normal, it was obscene!

Put it on my car last night, it's mental! It didn't do it straight away and I was disappointed. One last rev and a massive gunshot like bang happened, s**t myself.

Flames are cool aswell, wasn't expecting them tbh!

Megane 225
My exhaust back box exploded, had baffles all over the back of my car looked like i had ran over an old lady! then it all collapsed and something was blocking the pipe! so went and got a Yozza. :cool: Granted it was a toyosport one that exploded so wasn't surprising really

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
nah, the pops are occuring in the exhaust, not in the cylinder. The only things that will be damaged are lambda sensors and silencer baffles

Although the popping noise occurs in the exhaust, the high EGT very inefficient burn actually starts while the gasses are still in the engine, which leads to elovated exhaust valve temperatures, so you risk damage to those as well, and degradation of the seal between the valve and the seat as well.

Its fairly mild due to the small volume of gasses actually involved (as its doing this on a nearly shut TB), so not a massive issue, but people should be aware that unlike what they might think from what you had said there, the burn DOES start while the gasses are very much still in the engine, the popping is just the burn finishing late, it isnt when the burn starts.

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
Mine has actually stopped popping for some reason, 4months or so after I put the map on.

Pops the odd time, but probably 25% of what it used to.

Renault Clio 172 Cup
I heard what sounded like a Rice Kirspie factory being hit by a tsunami on a stretch of dual carriageway in summer. I turned around to see a 106GTI piloted by Devo The Chav.

That noise simply can't have been normal, it was obscene!

Haha you can't base one Chav-chariot on all cars. I had a 106 Rallye with a 2" pugsport and it really did sound fantastic. A very nice raspy sound rather than something you could fit your leg in and sounds like the space shuttle taking off!

They do pop and bang for fun on demand though

2003 Clio 172
Yeah, apart from the damage this is doing somewhere along the line from engine to bumper.....I think its a bit.....well......"Mong" was a good term. lol.
I don't see this as being any different to those flamer kits that full-on retards fit.
It has no purpose.

You might as well put a flashing light on the end of the exhaust and bring a cap gun out with you.

Don't get me wrong.....when they happen naturally, that is a different matter. Mine has the RSTuner performance map on it and will pop once in a blue moon, particularly if I am cooling down after a ragging and that......is perfect ;)

J

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
My old engine.

Attachments

• valve.jpg
    valve.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 148