ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

can remapping my 1.4 16v 98bhp clio mk2 damage my engine?

Renault Clio
so today i was washing my car and then i saw my neighbour across the streets he owns many cars and he sells them he said he remaps every car he has he said that he can get the files for my 1.4 16v and remap it for free and i said theres no point because it wont get more then 5bhp but again i might do it because its going to be free i was wondering if it will damage my ecu/engine?

RB Clio 182
Surely these all cant be real questions?

If it is theres there's absolutely no point in mapping it anyway, it wont do anything, software cant break the ecu but some softwear can lock it, i cant see it damaging the engine tbh, unless he maps it so lean it melts your pistons, althought i doubt your engine could generate enough heat to melt cheese.

Renault Clio
Surely these all cant be real questions?

If it is theres there's absolutely no point in mapping it anyway, it wont do anything, software cant break the ecu but some softwear can lock it, i cant see it damaging the engine tbh, unless he maps it so lean it melts your pistons, althought i doubt your engine could generate enough heat to melt cheese.

Man I'm only 17 if I could of get insured on a 182 or something better I would never bother with a 1.4 lol I don't know if a remap is gonna help it gain more power or not thats why im asking this form

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
so today i was washing my car and then i saw my neighbour across the streets he owns many cars and he sells them he said he remaps every car he has he said that he can get the files for my 1.4 16v and remap it for free and i said theres no point because it wont get more then 5bhp but again i might do it because its going to be free i was wondering if it will damage my ecu/engine?
Hi,
I probably wouldn't remap unless he can back up your current map and revert the car in case he makes it worse. Have you done any supporting mods like air filter or exhaust/decat.

RB Clio 182
It would probably gain 5bhp peak power, but it might gain 10bhp midrange from like 3k rpm to 5k rpm.

It might make it a little more driveable and add i tiny bit of torque so it pulls a little better for overtaking, but because your engine is small the increases will be small too, so you might not be able to tell like you would with a larger capacity turbocharged unit.

If its free, and he knows what hes doing then give it a go mate.

Renault Clio
It would probably gain 5bhp peak power, but it might gain 10bhp midrange from like 3k rpm to 5k rpm.

It might make it a little more driveable and add i tiny bit of torque so it pulls a little better for overtaking, but because your engine is small the increases will be small too, so you might not be able to tell like you would with a larger capacity turbocharged unit.

If its free, and he knows what hes doing then give it a go mate.
Thank you now that's the answer I appreciate

Oggy997

ClioSport Club Member
  997.1, Caddy, e208
Just accept you have to have a slow car in your first few years of driving if you're not prepared to pay a small fortune to insure a fast car instead.
I started on a 1.2 8v Clio, 9 months into the first year I bought a 172 and paid more for the final 3 months of the policy than I did for the whole 12m on the 1.2 (which was also modified)

Since then I've owned:
206 2.0 HDi
EP3 Type R
Clio 182
Golf GTi (mk 5)
Boxster 987

If I had the 987 from me passing my test, I'd be dead.

Renault Clio
Just accept you have to have a slow car in your first few years of driving if you're not prepared to pay a small fortune to insure a fast car instead.
I started on a 1.2 8v Clio, 9 months into the first year I bought a 172 and paid more for the final 3 months of the policy than I did for the whole 12m on the 1.2 (which was also modified)

Since then I've owned:
206 2.0 HDi
EP3 Type R
Clio 182
Golf GTi (mk 5)
Boxster 987

If I had the 987 from me passing my test, I'd be dead.

Yeah true EP3 type r is the car I really want lol I guess Ima have to stick to this Clio for a year or two it will probz be r.i.p by that time

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
any car is worth remapping if done properly and that's the key statement. Your neighbour getting the files for free unless hes a nice generous guy who works for a highly regarded mapping company is a walk away moment.

best way to increase power on the 1.4 16v if your set on mapping it is wait till its due a cambelt, pull the block off and fit the 1.6 16v block, there is a 10-15hp gain straight away (if running the 1.6 16v ECU file) - then if you remap the ecu there will be a bit more to be had, fastchip does the software for 1.6 16v, I bet you could just flash that file onto your 1.4 ECU after a block swap and be close to 20hp up!

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
any car is worth remapping if done properly and that's the key statement. Your neighbour getting the files for free unless hes a nice generous guy who works for a highly regarded mapping company is a walk away moment.

best way to increase power on the 1.4 16v if your set on mapping it is wait till its due a cambelt, pull the block off and fit the 1.6 16v block, there is a 10-15hp gain straight away (if running the 1.6 16v ECU file) - then if you remap the ecu there will be a bit more to be had, fastchip does the software for 1.6 16v, I bet you could just flash that file onto your 1.4 ECU after a block swap and be close to 20hp up!
I didn't know the heads were the same. Decent.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
yeah K4M and K4J engines are basically identical just with a different stroke I assume they use the same ECU but not 100% as ive never really looked into it, Siemens Sirius32 on the 1.6 16v anyway, same as the 172

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
yeah K4M and K4J engines are basically identical just with a different stroke I assume they use the same ECU but not 100% as ive never really looked into it, Siemens Sirius32 on the 1.6 16v anyway, same as the 172
Decent. Nice swap then.
Can you fit the Twingo 133 head/inlet/manifold etc?

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
I would imagine so, ive never had a poke about the the twingo engine in great detail but I think the block will be the same so it will just be the head. as far as I know the mk2 k4m clios didn't have VVT and the MK3 ones did, but the ecu in the mk2 will support VVT being the same as the 172.

ive got a 1.6 16v clio sitting doing nothing that I bought cheap a while back got a turbo manifold for it, just never had time to do anything with it!

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
I would imagine so, ive never had a poke about the the twingo engine in great detail but I think the block will be the same so it will just be the head. as far as I know the mk2 k4m clios didn't have VVT and the MK3 ones did, but the ecu in the mk2 will support VVT being the same as the 172.

ive got a 1.6 16v clio sitting doing nothing that I bought cheap a while back got a turbo manifold for it, just never had time to do anything with it!
It probably would do then. Back in the day, a lad on here (Dave) had a really spicy F4M Mk2. Awesome thing.

cjgower

ClioSport Club Member
Don't remap it. Save your money and put it towards your next car. If you do feel the need to modify then look at changing the cars appearance and not its performance.

R3k1355

ClioSport Club Member
I'd be highly suspicious of anyone who says they can map your car for nothing with a file from the internet.
Mapping equipment and files are extraordinarily expensive for proper stuff, there's a few knock-offs around but there's very little chance of getting hold of decent maps for free.

Especially for something like a 1.4 Clio, who's going to the trouble of writing that map??

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
I'd be highly suspicious of anyone who says they can map your car for nothing with a file from the internet.
Mapping equipment and files are extraordinarily expensive for proper stuff, there's a few knock-offs around but there's very little chance of getting hold of decent maps for free.

Especially for something like a 1.4 Clio, who's going to the trouble of writing that map??
all the big uk companies do software for them, along with more in Europe. its just getting a good one and not some downloaded rubbish

R3k1355

ClioSport Club Member
All the big companies charge a decent amount of money for their maps as well though, they keep a pretty tight control over the maps as it's worth lots of money to em.

JayD

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 (ph2)
Bear in mind after the remap you can only run it on super unleaded.

JayD

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 (ph2)
An off the shelf performance map would always be for SUL. If it was an economy map (do they exist for petrols?) or a custom map then it would be a different matter.