ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

can the handbrake damage a wheel bearing.

1998 BMW e46 323i
sister's fiesta had her handbrake tightened up at service, then the wheel bearing failed. AA man told her it could've been because of the above. True?

Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT
Im gonna go a head and say no. Unless shes doing hand brake turns? lol

Are the rear brakes drums or disc's?........ doesn't matter as a hand brake wouldn't damage a bearing.

1998 BMW e46 323i
it's on drums. I thought the same,.. I can understand if the hub itself was tightened, so the bearing was overtightened... But not the handbrake. Madness surely?

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
pals handbreak collapsed into back wheels which screwed up his bearings also... Good Times.

mk1 RT
it is possible as i have seen it done, as on most fiestas they have std bearings that are easily over tightened, thats if they did the job properly and removed the drums to ajust the handbrake

LY 182
yes it is possible, you have to undo the hubnut to take the drum off, and adjust the shoes up.. sometimes they stick on the axle a bit and never tighten back up quite right.
they cant be overtightened by nature of the design dosn't matter how tight you do those bearings it wont overtighten as it just tightens against the face of the axle (precision machined to load the bearing up at this point)
if it was undertightened however it could do it.

RS mk2 172
yes it is possible, you have to undo the hubnut to take the drum off, and adjust the shoes up.. sometimes they stick on the axle a bit and never tighten back up quite right.
they cant be overtightened by nature of the design dosn't matter how tight you do those bearings it wont overtighten as it just tightens against the face of the axle (precision machined to load the bearing up at this point)

This depends on the year as the older ones had tapered rear bearings.

LY 182

This depends on the year as the older ones had tapered rear bearings.
thats true, but they still tighten up in the same way (mk3 onwards im talking)
bout 300 odd nm off the top of my head, cant overtighten the actual bearing if you tried.

mk1+2 were adjustable though

1998 BMW e46 323i
She has a 52 plate 5 door, zetec, 1.4 duratec engine, the boxy angular mk whatever,.. From before they did the 3 door version of that mark I think,..

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Possible. If it's been adjusted incorectly, so much so that it's binding... putting more stress on the bearing.