ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Can these lead to mot fail?

Clio mk3
Hi I had a hid kit on my car for a few days and I have my mot on Monday. I've taken the hid kit off and out xenon bulbs in,I also have silver vision indicators and was wondering if any of them will cause not failure? And I have one side light out(need to take bumper off to get to it) and I've had no time to do it.

It's probably me being paranoid because it's my fist car and first mot

Arctic Blue 182
Any bulbs not working is a fail. Just reading something about people failing for not having orange enough indicators but not 100℅ on the rulings. Good luck with the rest of it though

Clio mk3
Any bulbs not working is a fail. Just reading something about people failing for not having orange enough indicators but not 100℅ on the rulings. Good luck with the rest of it though

Guess I'll just change the side lights,does it matter if they're led ones? And I'll change all the indicators just incase!
Cheers

mk2ph1 rsi 106rallye
silvertech bulbs are fine as long as they flash orange.

sidelight will need to work.

HID kits are also fine for an mot.

as long as the led side lights are white they will be fine.

front fog lamps, reverse lights, and nearside fog lamps are not testable items even if fitted.

high level brake likes wont fail if fitted and none of it lights up.

Flamer Clio 172
Hid kits are no longer fine for an mot (by law you have to have auto headlight levellers fitted and headlight washers to have hids ) but all depends on how harsh the tester is , as for silver vision aslong as they flash orange your fine but a side light out will get you a fail I'm affaid hope this helps ,

Clio mk3
Hid kits are no longer fine for an mot (by law you have to have auto headlight levellers fitted and headlight washers to have hids ) but all depends on how harsh the tester is , as for silver vision aslong as they flash orange your fine but a side light out will get you a fail I'm affaid hope this helps ,

Thank you!

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Do you have projector style headlights? If not - please don't put the HID kit back in as it just blinds other road users. If you have got projectors then no problem!

Do you have projector style headlights? If not - please don't put the HID kit back in as it just blinds other road users. If you have got projectors then no problem!

This, and looking at your profile you do not have projector headlights. So all you're doing is blinding other road users!

</rant>

Aside from that, as above any lights not working will be a fail, so get a bulb before the MOT if you can.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Yes he has std reflector headlights which are NOT suitable for HID bulbs. Fingers crossed the rozzers start to clamp down on the random fitting of HID bulbs, it's getting to be a bit of an epidemic! Everything from little Clio's to big old mercs seem to be running them at the minute. If you want better headlights, buy a better spec'd car - simple.

Your other option would be to change the headlights to a set of projectors, then fit the HID kit to that.

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member

Yes they are. Many manufacturers (Mini comes to mind) fit xenons without washers from the factory. So if the OP fits HIDs and does not have washers/levelling system he will be fine.

From the latest MOT guide:

Vehicles equipped with High Intensity Discharge (HID) or LED dipped beam headlamps may be fitted with headlamp washers and a suspension or
headlamp self levelling system. Where such systems are fitted, they must work; however, it is accepted that it may not be possible to readily determine the functioning of self levelling systems. In such cases, the benefit of the doubt must be given.

Reasons for rejection:

A headlamp levelling or cleaning device
inoperative or otherwise obviously defective.

Does not include them not being present.

Clio mk3
I've taken the hid kit off I knew if was going to fail with it on. Managed to chane the side lights without taking the bumper off thank god! All my lights are led and xenon will that be fine for not?

stevem42

ClioSport Club Member
  Silver182 and RB 182
I've just had a mates 172 ph2 fail on headlamp washers not working

can I remove these if so will it still pass

thanks

Clio 172
I've just had a mates 172 ph2 fail on headlamp washers not working

can I remove these if so will it still pass

thanks

my TT had standard Xenons and the headlight washers were removed and blanked off. Car always passed its MOT right up until November last year.

To the OP- LED sidelights are a grey area, what you class as white might not be to a tester, my white ones on the TT failed, 75p later I had standard bulbs back in the car and a pass certificate (after the CV joint and ARB ball joint were replaced as well! Haha!)

Jack

Just really echoing the above, my car came with HIDs in the reflector housing (I know, I haven't gotten round to changing it yet!). Passed MOT fine in February, think it depends on the mood of the tester.

Clio mk3
I know the hid kit will fail that's why I took it off,I'm worried about the xenon lights and led side lights

Many.
If standard reflector headlights are aimed correctly with HID's they are no more blinding than normal Xenons. Nobody aims them correctly though.