ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Can you remove the headlight washers without removing the bumper?

Ph2 Clio 172
As title really. I don't have the tools, space, time or patience to remove the bumper, but I need to either replace or remove my headlight washers before my next MOT. Ideally I want to blank them.

Ph2 Clio 172
I'm going to have the wheels and brakes and everything off anyway soon. So can you get to them by just removing the wheel arch liners?

Audi A3
doddle changing the bumper

back to the reason youre doing it though. if youve got xenons dont you have to have washers for an MOT, so your idea of blanking them would mean your car would fail? or have i got it wrong

Ph2 Clio 172
doddle changing the bumper

back to the reason youre doing it though. if youve got xenons dont you have to have washers for an MOT, so your idea of blanking them would mean your car would fail? or have i got it wrong

Yeah thats the commonly held opinion, but its wrong.

Prior to Jan 2012 cars fitted with Xenons had to have washers fitted by the manufacturer under EU law, however there was no requirement for them to be fitted or working to pass an MOT. Infact, head light washers were not even mentioned in the MOT hand book at all.

After Jan 2012, washer jets that are fitted must be operational, but there is still no requirement for them to be there if you have Xenons. So having blanks is fine.

Heez

ClioSport Club Member
  Superleggera'd Bean
But what about the new regs? Or is this at the discretion of the tester?

Edit: I see now :)

Last edited:
  Ph2 Clio 172
The key words are 'may' and 'any'

Information:
Vehicles equipped with High Intensity Discharge (HID) or LED dipped beam headlamps may be fitted with headlamp washers and a suspension or headlamp self levelling system.

Method of Inspection:
Where HID or LED dipped beam headlamps are fitted, switch on the headlamps and check the operation of any headlamp levelling and cleaning devices fitted

Reason for Rejection:
A headlamp levelling or cleaning device inoperative or otherwise obviously defective.

http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_170.htm

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
i can see it being a fiddle/ball ache doing it with the bumper on... take the whole thing off when you take the wheels/breaks off.

unscrew arch liners
unscrew 10mm bolt on wing
unscrew 2 x 10 mm bolts on slam/scuttle (?) panel
undo the grill
bumper off

even when i had the bumper off, getting the washers undone was annoying lol

Monaco Blue 172
What a crock of horse manure these cars are, the washer itself looks like it just screws in.. But if you have to take the entire bumper off. Think ill leave it till another day.

^ What Fletcher said, it's genuinely harder to take off the arch liners and f**k about skinning your knuckles than it is just to whip the bumper off Lol.