ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Canon 1000D, Sony a450 or Nikon D3000?

Citroen DS3 DSport
I'm contemplating buying one of these models today, they all come with a 18-55mm lens. The Sony a450 can be bought for £285 from Comet using a discount code and is a very tempting price, the Canon or Nikon would cost me £351.49

This would be my first DSLR camera, which would you recommend and why?

Many thanks for any advice offered.

1000D - every day of the week

The D3000 uses an old sensor - but it is easier to use - it also has a bigger screen BUT (and this is what I hate about nikon budget range) - some lenses you'll have to manually focus as the body doesn't have a focus'ing motor. If you buy the lenses that auto-focus they are more expensive than the canon ones

The 1000D has live view though which is REALLY handy when you're getting into dslr photography, and any lens you buy for the 1000D will work on better cameras as you move up

I started with a 1000D then 450D, 500D and now a 50D - it was a brilliant way to start off :)

Citroen DS3 DSport
No love for the Sony? Lol

The live view does appeal to me on the Canon, the Sony does have live view but only during manual focus.

Oil Burner
No love for Sony on this forum....

There is nothing wrong with Sony, a lot of their components are actually used by Nikon on their cameras.

Only issue with Sony is the lack of used lenses, even considering you can use Minolta AF lenses there isnt the number of the used lenses that Nikon has on the market, yet alone Canon.

The 1000d would be a perfect starting camera. But i'm sure the Nikon is comparable, just see which one makes sense to you when you hold it.

Citroen DS3 DSport
I will get chased out of here for this but I bought the Sony a450 yesterday, the offer at Comet was too good to miss out on and the camera seems to be a step ahead of the older Canon 1000d.

BMW E46 330i Touring
I bought the D3000 a couple weeks ago and have to admit I love it.

I find the lack of live view a non-issue as I've always preferred taking pictures the 'proper' way. I've only got the kit lens which has AF so I don't know yet if that will be an issue in future.

Pop to a shop and have a play with them. Go with whichever feels better, which was the Nikon for me. :)

BMW E46 330i Touring
Oops, just noticed you chose the Sony! I'm sure it'll be ace mate, better than anything you've used before anyway. I've yet to take a decent photo yet!

Fiat Panda 100hp
I had ago on a D3000 @ work the other day, pants it is. Looks noisy as noise even on 800 ISO. Didn't like the feel of it either. Although I am use to a D90.