ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bought my first DSLR - What next

Hi everyone,

I've recently bought my first DSLR a Canon 1100D with the 18-55mm lens kit.

I'm a complete photography noob. I've been reading the stickies and also at basic guides on youtube etc.

The main use of the camera will be for car shows, holidays and general sights out and about.

What lens do you recommend for these purposes or will the lens that comes with the kit suffice for the time being?

I've been looking at the Sigma 10-20mm, 18-200mm and other accessories. I've just bought a flower/petal hood to go with the standard lens too.

Ash

I'm not clued up on canon but if it's equal to the Nikon d3100 and the kit lens it comes with then it should do fine. You just need to learn how to use it and you'll get some cracking shots. Also, get on the manual bandwagon asap, theres nothing like getting a brilliant picture knowing you done everything yourself! Auto is a bit pointless IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

DB.

BMW 440i
I'd just get used to the camera first before you start buying more lense etc, learn what works best and try and identify any weaknesses in your pictures.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah. Get used to the camera first and then think of what you want to take pictures of as that will influence the lens decision.
Did you get it from Curry's? They are throwing a tripod in at the moment for 270 I think. A few lads from work have just bought them.

Edit. Reread OP.
The 18-200 is a good all round lens.

Yeah. Get used to the camera first and then think of what you want to take pictures of as that will influence the lens decision.
Did you get it from Curry's? They are throwing a tripod in at the moment for 270 I think. A few lads from work have just bought them.

Edit. Reread OP.
The 18-200 is a good all round lens.

Bought mine online didn't really shop around that much for deals. I think it will be most wise just to get used to the standard setup for now and think about other lenses afterwards.

I was just curious what would be good as an all rounder/value for money for the type of photographs i'll be taking.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Take some photos - work out how to use it then decide what you want next.

:cool:

10-20 is an awesome lens but something like a 30mm f/1.8 would also be a nice 'next' lens too.

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
I'd get the 10-20 first of all, for what you've said it'll be used for that lens is great, it'll be really wide and for car show shots it's quite a nice effect with the distortion. Also, for the car stuff I strongly recommend a CPL filter, this allows you to turn the little ring on the filter that will remove unwanted glare and shine off the windscreen which is desirable for car shots :)

I'd get the 10-20 first of all, for what you've said it'll be used for that lens is great, it'll be really wide and for car show shots it's quite a nice effect with the distortion. Also, for the car stuff I strongly recommend a CPL filter, this allows you to turn the little ring on the filter that will remove unwanted glare and shine off the windscreen which is desirable for car shots :)

Thanks for the advice Nial, what about moving shots like at track days would the 10-20 still be ok for this?

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
No it’d be far too wide for that unfortunately, you’d need something like Canon’s 55-250mm for that stuff. When I first started out I went from the kit lens to a telephoto (a 55-200mm Nikon) because I shot some Motorsport and Nature stuff, then I got a fast prime (35mm F1.8). So you could get the telephoto first and then 18mm should be wide enough for some nice car show shots, but make sure you get that CPL :)

No it’d be far too wide for that unfortunately, you’d need something like Canon’s 55-250mm for that stuff. When I first started out I went from the kit lens to a telephoto (a 55-200mm Nikon) because I shot some Motorsport and Nature stuff, then I got a fast prime (35mm F1.8). So you could get the telephoto first and then 18mm should be wide enough for some nice car show shots, but make sure you get that CPL :)

Right that's fair enough i was looking at the 18-200mm's originally perhaps that may be a better option. But before all that new lenses and such i need to get to grips with the current setup!

I've just bought a CPL off ebay too :)

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah the 18-200 will give you a good range, from quite wide to telephoto, it’ll cover all the bases.

That’ll be a 58mm filter thread one for the kit lens won’t it? :)

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
Just to show what the CPL does for car stuff I have this shot from a week ago, see how the windscreen is transparent instead of glared and the colour of the car is deeper-

9353090394_84db37e9b1_z.jpg

Low Golf by Niall97, on Flickr

Thanks for the example, that photo looks great. Oooft the corsa lol.

Have you used a UV filter as well for different shots?

I would personally just buy a 50mm 1.8. A) It will get you used to using a prime, which is great for creativity, B) It's a very fast lens, so will introduce you to some serious depth of field control, and C) It's very cheap.

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
I've never used a UV filter, they're next to useless of digital sensors and can actually make the image softer, as for the all round lens I recommended that because it's suited to his needs, a beginner isn't going to be doing any pixel peeping after all.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
That was the only reason I suggested it too. The Mrs has one and she seems pretty happy with hers but she might only pick up the camera 10 times a year.

I would suggest the 55-250 but the short end of it is pretty long, especially on a crop.

Once you get in to photography, I'd then go for a few lenses. The 10-20 Sigma is a cracker, as is the 1.8 50mm (again, quite long on crop) but will make you more aware of the framing of a picture.

Not bad. Next time move the dog out the way and make sure you get all 4 corners of the mat in the shot though.

I'm still reading/watching guides and trying new things. It's quite hard getting a puppy to stay still for long enough for me to faff about with the camera lol, that photo was literally the only half tidy photo after picking it up for the first time.

I find with animal/pet shots that 9 times out of 10, they're better when you come down to eye level of whatever you're shooting.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
I'm still reading/watching guides and trying new things. It's quite hard getting a puppy to stay still for long enough for me to faff about with the camera lol, that photo was literally the only half tidy photo after picking it up for the first time.

It was a joke :eek:

Pic is great.

Focus is on the eyes.. Rule of thirds hit.. Good work.

Clio200 EDC Lux
I have the D3100 with the 18-55 lense kit, its my first dslr I have found some of the vids on youtube very useful.
Regarding the 55-200 lense can some explain in simple terms what the benefits are?
Thanks

Edit found this which explains.

Last edited by a moderator:
  Golf GTD Mk7
Make sure you don't buy a cheap polariser. Better ones are thinner so less effect of pictures. Glare will be reduced though either way.

I find with animal/pet shots that 9 times out of 10, they're better when you come down to eye level of whatever you're shooting.

Agreed. Much better than angled down IMO. I lye on the floor to take shots of the rabbits