ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Canon 20D

Mk2 ph1 clio
Thoughts?

I've been offered a Canon 20D with battery, charger and strap for £200 .. i currently have a 300D which is 6.3mp the 20D is 8.2 .. which will come in handy for printing images onto larger items.

I also like the additional features .. mainly AI servo!

I've read quite a few reviews and they always compare it to the 1D mk II which makes me believe that thsi could be quite a bargain to be had!

I'd just like to see what other people though if you have used one or know a bit about them.

Oil Burner
Very small screen, gets the job done. In my opinion its still not a patch on a 30,40,50d

But then £200 isnt alot of money.

Im considering one for a cheap 2nd camera to do some remote shooting with, this way i wont cry if it gets knocked.

its a huge upgrade not only in IQ from the vastly superior sensor but you get bigger buffer, better focus, FEC, better chassis.

you'll not see any noticable difference between 20/30/40D (40D slightly more noise).

Mk2 ph1 clio
I've read almost every review i can find and it seems to e a cracking camera especialy for £200. Theres still some for sale new at £1,299.99!

Ebay they float around at about £200 -£800 so .. im happy!

It should arrive tomorrow so i'll post up some photos.. one with the 300D and one with the 20D!

Oil Burner
you'll not see any noticable difference between 20/30/40D (40D slightly more noise).

Got to disagree there. Ive used both at length and the 40d is worlds ahead. Noise reduction is slightly better but focusing speed and accuracy are totally different. The screen on the 20d is also a real pain at times. However the 20d is about £200 and the 40d is about £500

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
I currently use a 20D, and I honestly think its an amazing camera. The print quality is very good when printing onto large canvas ect. The screen is a bit small, but its not an issues thats ever put me off. The build quality is also very good, its a sturdy camera, that can take a knock or two. Its easy to use, and has loads of settings, I found it great for night photography! Yes, there are many cameras that are better on the market, and this camera is getting on a bit , but for £200, id nab it up, its well worth that amount. Bargain!

A couple of clio meet pics I took with it:

IMG_0025copy.jpg

IMG_0011copy.jpg

IMG_0050copy.jpg

Last edited:
  Rally bus
Dude how do you take long images like that lol

by cropping the top and the bottom of the image?

A friend of mine has had 20D/30D/40D, the 40D is by far the better camera he said. If you're considering changing just for the extra mega pixies then don't bother unless you're planning on print at 15ft x 10ft.

Mk2 ph1 clio
Its not the mega pixels im going for soley (although i do want to be able to print larger images)

I like the sheer amount of features it has that my 300D doesnt!

Mainly AI Servo for motorsport. The 300D can do this but you have to be in manual focus and keep the button depressed... can't pan very wll whilst doing this.

I'll see how it performs tomorrow hopefuly!

Got to disagree there. Ive used both at length and the 40d is worlds ahead. Noise reduction is slightly better but focusing speed and accuracy are totally different. The screen on the 20d is also a real pain at times. However the 20d is about £200 and the 40d is about £500

I've used both since they were released in the UK and don't see a huge difference between them. maybe I'm just blind

Oil Burner
An example:

I shoot alot of motorsports, if i use the same lense in similar lighting conditions to shoot a car that is coming straight towards me (at good speed) on the high speed continuous mode, the 4 or 5 frames the 20d will let off in a second, 1 or 2 will in in focus. With the same setup on the 40d, out of the 5 or 6 frames frames on average about 1, maybe 2 will be out of focus.

The biggest difference ive found is with the screen though. The colour reproduction is miles off on the 20d, as well as the screen being a bit too small to use at a quick glance.

However im sure that for portrait work or work which isnt so dependant on focus speed the 20d is fine. Well i know it is. But for what i mainly use my cameras for its a big step down from 40d.

only thing I noticed when I was working at knockhill was the buffer increase 17 V 6 makes a huge difference on RAW shooting lol. I don't bother with colour on the screen because its a jpeg not a RAW image which does make a huge differernce.

Mk2 ph1 clio
Been out with it today and I dont have a single complaint about it yet! Took around about 500 photos so once i sort through them i'll post up the results.

Works...kind of...
Excellent, I love mine for the sheer weight and build quality of the thing. Feels more substantial in my hands.