ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

[Current/Next Gen] FIFA 14

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
More comments:

--

I played several hours of next gen FIFA this evening, and here's my first impressions if anyone is interested:

First thing you notice is the graphics upgrade. It's a big upgrade though I can't wait to see what they do in a year or two; the impact of 1080p is immediate; the menus are gorgeous; the color palette is still unrealistically bright.

Next thing you notice is that everything feels a tad weightier. It's going to take longer with the game to know for sure but first impression is that Precision Movement is even a bigger influence than on cg.

With the exception of headers, no major gameplay changes, but A LOT of little additions: more animations, greater variety in passing, first touch, ball physics, extra touches.

Headers much improved (so far). Maybe it's not quite a "major" gameplay addition but because multiple defenders now react to crosses, there were several instances that I was sure the CPU would score off a cross but instead my CBs dealt with it.

Sprint seems slightly toned down when moving without the ball, or maybe it's that acceleration is slower, which is great b/c one of my biggest complaints with current gen was that players moved too quickly in defense relative to dribblers. Stamina still is largely irrelevant.

AI seems better at individual level. Still saw some poor decisions, especially with runs, but I swear I saw loads of things that wouldn't have happened in CG. Players certainly seem "more human."

Still some funny collisions but physical interactions are better.

Pitches look great and playing in stadiums with shade, which I absolutely hated before, is now fine.

I'm not sure about the new default camera. I like how it looks, I like seeing the crowd, but players on the far side of the pitch become pretty small (and I'm playing on a 50") and I prefer the angle of tele broadcast.

Passing has been noted by some to be different, to be more difficult, especially with through ball, but I'm not sure. Seems pretty much the same to me, just with more variety in animations and spin physics.

I loaded up CM to confirm that the laggy PS3 menus aren't an issue and everything seems to work great, including team management. Don't know about the shortlist but I'd imagine it's fine too.

I have a feeling that it's going to take dozens of hours to really appreciate all the little changes next gen has over cg. So far, it seems like a pretty darn awesome first edition for a new generation.

Now, onto what for me was the biggest change, which has nothing to do with FIFA: the PS4 controller. It seems like a big improvement but I really struggled with it for two reasons:
1) the analog sticks are dramatically different and I struggled to get accustomed to the vastly reduced radius - I was constantly jamming the sticks against the sides; also, my thumbs kept sliding on the sticks, so much so that for all the previews/impressions/reviews I've read, I'm surprised I don't recall seeing this mentioned. Right now it's a big problem for me.
2) the DS4 is heavier, larger, and feels sturdier, but still feels way too cramped for my hands. And I don't have big hands - I wear a men's medium glove. Hitting buttons, and especially combinations, is iffy, like initiating player runs with L1, or the driven long pass with R1+square; and hitting the options button (previously start) is really hard. During play I kept finding myself shifting my grip and hand position, which shouldn't be happening. I honestly don't understand how the dualshock is meant for adult gamers.

Hopefully I'll get more used to the ds4 but my biggest fear going with the PS4 over the Xbox was the controller, and as of right now those fears have proven warranted. Right now I could see myself at some point buying an Xbox One, and as long as there aren't major difference in game quality, it again could prove to be my console of choice this gen primarily because of the controller. I'm really hoping that it's just a matter of getting used to it but I have my doubts.

--

I didn't get to play it, but I saw a bunch of people playing the XB1 version of FIFA 14 via some MS roadshow-type van parked up in my city centre.

Seeing the game up close on a TV screen, it looked absolutely lovely, I have to say. I'm glad I pre-ordered this game for my PS4. Graphics were razor sharp, the game speed was noticeably slower than CG and the lighting and animations were gorgeous.

Sure, it's not up to NBA2K standards but was a decent enough jump from CG FIFA.

--

So uh, FIFA 14 for the PS4 is actually really good. Loving it so far.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Played FIFA14 PS4 last night.

Looks amazing, the weight of the players feels fantastic. Finally feels like proper football.

Only played one game, won 4-3, golden goal extra time. 2 of us on each team. Was magical.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
@AK

s8dGjYw.gif

Reminds me of Lloris.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Really dislike the fact they've removed the team play option. Piss poor if you ask me.

Yeah that is a shocking omission. Really poor.

Petition should rectify that for next patch, hopefully.

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
On PS4 everything was going ok until I noticed my pro's stats (pro clubs) had gone down to level 80 (was previously higher on ps3) his individual attributes have gone down by a lot, shot power is now 80 when it used to be 92...

The stats haven't totally reset as iirc you start at mid 70s, not 80. Accomplishments have reset though. Really frustrating.

marc1330

ClioSport Club Member
  Hill lover
Anyone having trouble with digital copy of fifa 14? Keeps going back to Dashboard when starting game :(

I had this I just turned the powers supply off at the wall for a bit, restarted and it's been fine since

Fiesta ST-3
Lads I have a problem with this on XBO.

Every time I set a controller preset and play my brother In a match we can't have separate presets. Even if I go into setting and change mine, it changes his As well. Any thoughts?

BG V6, LY 182
Anyone having issues when playing FIFA ultimate team? I get an error message saying 'there was an error creating your game session'

Civic Si
has anyone had any problems with Fifa 14 (XBO) on Seasons mode?
seems to be if I change the squad\move players around etc... I can play one game with that team but then keep getting the message saying my squad file has been tampered with or corrupt!
only way I can play is if I keep the team the same and don't make any changes and even then, its hit and miss.

looked online and seems to be a problem a lot of people have been getting.

anyone else having this problem?

-KarL-

ClioSport Club Member
seems to be if I change the squad\move players around etc... I can play one game with that team but then keep getting the message saying my squad file has been tampered with or corrupt!
only way I can play is if I keep the team the same and don't make any changes and even then, its hit and miss.

I had this, takes about 3/4 attempts to get into a game.

I kept getting this so i've given up on Seasons for the meantime

It's annoying as it's the game mode i played most on 13

Fiesta ST
Not sure if anyone still plays this anymore, the connectivity issues are still present but not as bad and it's probably still my most played game on the Xbox one.

Heres a quick video of a nice goal I scored the other day

[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BblB_pF89lc[/video]

-KarL-

ClioSport Club Member
Had it last week on FUT, won a game 1-0 went to exit back to the menu and it shot me out and gave me a DNF.

Fiesta ST-2
You were rubbish anyway

Hey, I've won back to back promotions on FUT14 so far, and had a better SPM on Battlefield 3 than you I think? I'm just not waiting 20 mins to buy a manager contract card or having it give me DNF, when I'm winning a match.

DCi
Not sure if anyone still plays this anymore, the connectivity issues are still present but not as bad and it's probably still my most played game on the Xbox one.

Heres a quick video of a nice goal I scored the other day

[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BblB_pF89lc[/video]

Paul Pogba is ace for shots like this...

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Just had to remind myself why I don't play FIFA online. c***s watching every replay, lagging constantly and then swearing constantly into their mics.

Good job c***s, hope you die of all of the aids

Yellow 197
Just me that thinks F14 is alot more clunky and worse than 13? I'm thinking of ebaying it and going back to 13

Clio 1.2 16v
Just me that thinks F14 is alot more clunky and worse than 13? I'm thinking of ebaying it and going back to 13

Depends, FUT this year is definately worse than last years but pro clubs is much better (apart from the AI being retards)

Marc.

ClioSport Club Member
Overall it's clunkier. But 14 is a million times better on my XBone than it was on my 360.

Fiesta ST-2
Feel like a whinge... Anyone else think there are way too many offsides given on this game? Normally everytime the keeper clears it, someone lazy fucker is offside. I put it down to poor AI