ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Canon 500d

As above, I have a Canon 500d with the standard IS kit lense that comes with it.

I am looking at getting a couple of new lenses for my birthday, but am not really sure what are the best ones/what to look for.

I'm after a zoom lense, something around 300mm, and have seen a few, but not sure on the best makes etc.

Also looking for a Macro lense, but am struggling to find one at the moment, and don't really know where to begin to look.

Any help would be appreciated!

I don't really have one as I dont really have any prices to go by to be honest! Seen a zoom lens on Amazon which has good reviews for about £150.

I'm still a "beginner" as such with photography, so i'm not massively worried about having some top of the range piece of kit.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
I've got that Tamron lens .. does everything adequatly. No complaints what so ever for the price !

Don't think it will give you images like some L spec glass would.. but then it's 1/10th of the price of a basic L.

Some sample pics:

Couple of weeks ago, through the double-glazing, no cropping about 12 ft away at a guess:

5338365173_22e6bc4302_z.jpg

Breakfast time in the garden by evil_giraffes_rule, on Flickr

Roughly 80m away IIRC across a track. No cropping:

4794413318_43ab82a9e0_z.jpg

Tom Chilton by evil_giraffes_rule, on Flickr

Laura - Thanks for the link, that lens looks really good and at the price, can't complain! In terms of the macro ability it has, how close can I get before it won't be able to focus on the object? Is there any way of knowing that?

Evil Giraffe - Those pics are excellent, what range is your lens?

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
the pics posted are from the lens posted

as for distance its not set it depends on light etc

the pics posted are from the lens posted

as for distance its not set it depends on light etc

Oh right ok, sorry you can tell i'm new to this! I don't fully understand the whole macro thing, just want to take some really good close up, detailed shots of things aswell and my current lens isn't the best for it tbh.

No matter what, every canon user needs a nifty 50!!!

Such a superb lens for around £75!

haha wtf is a nifty 50?!

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
the 300mm focal length.

all imo of course,
i find a 250mm falls a little short if say trying to shoot track action

For that price, I'd get the Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 IS or Sigma do some nice budget lenses if 300mm is a must, like the Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO DG MACRO, make sure you go for the APO version.
The Canon isn't spectacular but for the money it'll shoot at 250mm with very low hand held shutter speeds thanks to the IS, not great for sport but useful none the less and I'm pretty sure no other lens at this price boasts such a feature.

The nifty fifty is the Canon EF 50mm f1.8 II, for the money you won't get a lens that can teach you so much about photography in terms of big aperture shooting, f/1.8 is fantastic.
http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/prod83.html

Kenko extension tubes, electrical version. These are not 'cheap' for what they are (empty tubes!) but they will get your greater than 1:1 combined with a nifty fifty. Prepare to want flash though, its hard working that close with natural light. A dedicated macro lens will cost a fair wack more but is better in the long run if you enjoy it.
http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/prod29.html

BluePete

Thanks for that. What would you say is better for a first lens, the zoom lens or the nifty fifty?

Is the nifty fifty good for real close up shots?

Depends what you need more. I'd get the Zoom first as its more versatile. I'm not sure what has a better MFD (minium focus distance), I don't get the numbers bit I think it'll be the zoom.

The 50 is great for portrait, shallow depth of field & low light shooting but I don't remember the MFD being perticularily great. your kit lens already covers 50mm, so if you need more reach, its an easy answer...

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
I had the 55-250 IS .. very very nice lens, (if you look through my flickr you might find some examples in there from a year ago) but I prefer the 70-300 tamron at full zoom, plus it has the macro ability. If you look at the specs of the lens, it will tell you it's minimum focusing distance. IIRC its about a metre, at 300mm, in macro mode.

50mm f1.8 is the nifty fifty .. gives a ridiculously shallow DoF like this:

3718441430_ddc13c2b41.jpg

Lights at F1.8 by evil_giraffes_rule, on Flickr

Very fast lens for low light situations.

As you sound like a complete novice to this whole world, I'd just concentrate on what you've got at the moment and worry about the rest later, you don't really sound like you know what you want to achieve yet.

Plenty of threads on here, or TalkPhotography, or digital photography school (google it) for advice on just about everything photography related.

Thanks for the advice mate, will take all that into consideration!

I like to think that I take good photo's, just not particularly "knowledgeable" with the statistical side of things if that makes sense!

Will go into Jessops or something and have a play with a few different lenses I think.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
With my 450d, I had my kit (18-55) for a few months by itself, then bought a 10-20 and a 50mm and a zoom (55-250).

The Sigma (10-20) is still my most favouritiest lens EVERRRRR.. the 50 I wouldn't be without, but the zoom got used about 5 times in a year.

Jessops looking at lenses is pretty pointless IMO, as all you'll be able to do is take pics of the sales assistant under mega artificial lighting.

Have a look around on Flickr, get some ideas as to what you fancy trying out .. see how you fair with your kit lens. Friend of mine only has a kit and he takes some fab shots.

Have you got a flickr account ? Free one is great until you get into it and have more than (is it 100 photos over all or a MB allowance a day ?! i cant remember)....

Anyway .. get snapping, put some pics up here and let us pick your shots to pieces ;)

Slow red one
With my 450d, I had my kit (18-55) for a few months by itself, then bought a 10-20 and a 50mm and a zoom (55-250).

The Sigma (10-20) is still my most favouritiest lens EVERRRRR.. the 50 I wouldn't be without, but the zoom got used about 5 times in a year.

Jessops looking at lenses is pretty pointless IMO, as all you'll be able to do is take pics of the sales assistant under mega artificial lighting.

Have a look around on Flickr, get some ideas as to what you fancy trying out .. see how you fair with your kit lens. Friend of mine only has a kit and he takes some fab shots.

Have you got a flickr account ? Free one is great until you get into it and have more than (is it 100 photos over all or a MB allowance a day ?! i cant remember)....

Anyway .. get snapping, put some pics up here and let us pick your shots to pieces ;)
Dude how do your images on flickr always come out so crystal clear? what lens do you use for all the car shots up close? is that the 50 one?

lol! Seriously?! Of all the ones you choose to like, its probably one of my least favourite..

It's ok.. I can take it on the chin.. :eek:

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
lol! Seriously?! Of all the ones you choose to like, its probably one of my least favourite..

It's ok.. I can take it on the chin.. :eek:

^ How can you not like the geerarf pic ?

I was clearly joking about the rest. You've definitely got an eye for it.

Dude how do your images on flickr always come out so crystal clear? what lens do you use for all the car shots up close? is that the 50 one?

Crystal clear compared to what chap ? I'm using a mid-range D-SLR with half decent glass (ish...). Sunny days means lots of light, so the camera can take a super-fast shot meaning minimal chance of blur from movement, as the shutter is open for 1/100th of a second or less.

The really close ones are with the 10-20 normally. The smaller the number, the wider the view, so the lens is normally under a foot from the corner of the car, but its all fitting in, IYSWIM.

Last edited:

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Check the data on the photo - Flickr photo > dropdown: Actions > Exif data

Ta-daaaaa:

Camera Nikon D60
Exposure 1
Aperture f/18.0
Focal Length 17 mm
ISO Speed 100
Exposure Bias +2/3 EV
Flash No Flash

Also - yes, it's expensive but it's an asset ;) (Also also - check your PMs)

Slow red one
Ah cheers, never used flickr before. Would like to try some pics like that but hardly any decent beaches near me:(
Looks like i'll go for the 50 for now since thats a decent price.

Pete speaks sense - 55-250mm is a nice beginners zoom lens

The 70-200mm f4L is mind blowingly sharp - but It's £600. I'd start with the 55-250 and see how you get on

And yes EVERYONE who owns a canon should own a nifty fifty at some point

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
10-20 im a yummy lens... i got one 3 weeks ago but havnt really had chance to play with it yet