ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Canon 550d vs 600d vs 60d

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
ok within the next 4 weeks i want to have bought a new camera, im taking a big step and going from nikon to canon.

now ive been looking at the above three cameras. it would seem to 550d and 600d are the same but the 600d is more expensive. the 60d seems to have the same sensor as the other two so not sure why its so much more expensive.

anyone offer any advice on wether the 60d is really worth like 200 more than a 550d??

Oil Burner
all great cameras. 60d has better control interface in terms of ease of use. It also has a magnesium body and is a larger camera. If it is just a hobby then the 550 or 600 will be fine, but the 60d will take a bit more abuse and makes quick adjustments easier.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
i dont care if the body is plastic or metal, im interested in picture quality.

if all three take exactly the same quality pics then ill go for the cheapest

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
ok cheers, when i go to buy ill see what deals i can get.

i read about the weather proofing, is it any good?

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
ah right ok.

just checked out that link you provided, it seems a bit of a software and case thing that make the 60d more expensive?

think id probably get the 600 over the 550, its just wether the 60 is worth the extra cash.

Oil Burner
Personally i would take the XXD model over the XXXD model every time.

- First the camera fits better in the hand as it is larger.
- They have a thumb wheel, so if you are shooting manual you can adjust both settings (shutter/aperture) on their own dial (sounds minor, but not having this is a right ball ache)
- They have a top LCD readout.
- Magnesium body and generally better build - invaluable with how my cameras get treated.
- The faster FPS is nice to have, although more of a thing people like to have than actually use.

For £200, yes i would go for a 60d. But my camera use may well be very different to yours.

Maybe see what some others have to say. Both will produce brilliant images, but they are very different user experiences.

The 60D takes faster shots, its weather sealed, heavier, bigger and metal - but personally I hate it. It has a flip out screen and I just don't like it
It's predecessor the 50D was a fantastic action/sports camera

For just a general hobby camera get the 550 or 600 - there's no difference in IQ between them and a 60D

dk

911 GTS Cab
all great cameras. 60d has better control interface in terms of ease of use. It also has a magnesium body and is a larger camera. If it is just a hobby then the 550 or 600 will be fine, but the 60d will take a bit more abuse and makes quick adjustments easier.

60d doesn't have a magnesium body, it's plastic, they basically created a model between the 50d and 550d but updated a few things and added video.

Personally, I'd rather have a second hand 50d, rather than a 60d, if you could stretch to a 7d, that's an awesome camera. The 50d/7d feel very different to the 550d and now the 60d too, IMO the 60d is a slight downgrade from a 50d as its moved from semi professional to upper consumer. Depends what you want I guess, 50d has a higher burst rate, but no video etc.

Havingnused video on an slr, I can confirm that it's not something I would look for in a camera again, too much hassle for the amateur videographer.

dk

911 GTS Cab
The 60D takes faster shots, its weather sealed, heavier, bigger and metal - but personally I hate it. It has a flip out screen and I just don't like it
It's predecessor the 50D was a fantastic action/sports camera

For just a general hobby camera get the 550 or 600 - there's no difference in IQ between them and a 60D

It's plastic.....and is it even weather sealed? (although the lenses probably won't be anyway....) and it's not that heavy, nothing like a 50d from what I remember holding it.

When looking to upgrade my 50d I looked at one, was very cheap feeling, 7d was the only option.

Oh and I too hate the flip out screen.

Oil Burner
It's plastic.....and is it even weather sealed? (although the lenses probably won't be anyway....) and it's not that heavy, nothing like a 50d from what I remember holding it.

When looking to upgrade my 50d I looked at one, was very cheap feeling, 7d was the only option.

Ok i presumed it would be magnesium as per all the other XXD cameras.

The 600d also has a flip out screen by the looks of it, so your screwed either way there ;)

50d was my least favourite camera i've owned ironically, 2nd only to the 7d i now have haha. 40d was a peach, regret selling it, modern Canon's are just getting worse and worse built imho.

dk

911 GTS Cab
For some reason they cheapened it, well we know the reason, to move people up to the 7d.....

And i love the AF and speed of the 7d, oh and the 100% viewfinder.

Cayman S Edition 1
I've got a 600D and love it. Takes great pics and can't fault it. Also find the flip out screen really useful:)

Oh god yeah I forgot the 50D was magnesium bodied - then in the 60D they went back to plastic

It's such a s**t move from Canon. It's barely any better than the 550D.
The 50D was such a superb camera - I'd have a 2nd hand one any day.
I got the 7D after my 50D because the 60D felt like a massive step down :(

dk

911 GTS Cab
Oh god yeah I forgot the 50D was magnesium bodied - then in the 60D they went back to plastic

It's such a s**t move from Canon. It's barely any better than the 550D.
The 50D was such a superb camera - I'd have a 2nd hand one any day.
I got the 7D after my 50D because the 60D felt like a massive step down :(

exactly the same for me, and i lot both cameras, the 50d is my backup now.

exactly the same for me, and i lot both cameras, the 50d is my backup now.

I was going to keep my 50D as an action camera and get a 5D MK II - but the AF of the 7D sold me

The shots I take track side now are 99% keepers - the AF system on the 7D is mind blowingly good

dk

911 GTS Cab
sure is, and video, meh, its ok if you have a lens with IS, pointless without unless yoga re doing tripod work. You can get a much better video camera for a decent price, unless you are going to use some serious glass (which lets face it, yoga rent really when looking at a 550d as an option) and a lot of patience to get decent results.

Yep that would be my opinion too

You get noise from the auto focus unless you run an external mic - only some of the dslr's have the ext. mic port
Then the cost of the mic, quality glass, a decent rig to stabilize

I've done some video with the 7D at motorsport but it's less than impressive
I'd just spend a few hundred on a proper HD camcorder

dk

911 GTS Cab
i did some in antarctica, and all you can hear is wind.........

infact i swear my iPhone video was nearly as good!

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Dont get a 550 for video. Its pretty pants tbh.
I have a 550 & a 30 and the 30 is such a better camera, build quality is much betyer, its just a bit old now. Should have gone for a second hand 7 i think instead of the 550. Its too small, controls are a bit s**t too.
Image quality is better than the 30 but my missus' 50 is better than my 550.
Go second hand and buy a 7.

Oddly the flip up screen is the first thing I look for in a camera! I love being able to flip out that screen and use angles that you either can't with a std lcd or have to get in some sort of yoga pose to use.

dk

911 GTS Cab
I never even use live view, I am a viewfinder man, using a screen is what compact cameras are for IMO.

Although saying that, you have to use the screen for video, although after my experience it's more hassle than its worth.

The 60D is NOT made from Magnesium Alloy and is only partially weather sealed by the way. The 50D was, but they made the 60D with a polycarbonate shell the same as the 600D.

I would choose between them both on what feels better in your hand. Top screen is nice to have though.

I am defiantly a live view man lol, I love shooting from the hip, waistfinder style, great for street photography as people don't even think your pointing it at them!

Iceberg 172 Cup
yes, 60d all the way, all make sure you get Magic Lantern installed on the old SD, it makes for film making what peanut butter does for a kit kat.

Iceberg 172 Cup
Infact just bite the bullet, sell the car and buy a 1D :cool:

then we can be best friends!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just bought a 600D and it's ace. Not going to say too much because I'm a novice and don't want to embarrass myself.

But I will say Canon are currently doing £50 cash back via certain stores (i.e. Jessops) which means the 600D is only £30 more than the 550D....

If you get the 550D it's a matter of time before you're kicking yourself and wanting the tilt-screen... And for £30!?

kwak ZX9R+golf gttdi
i got the nikon d5100 after previously owning a d3000,i still have my canon 1000d too.
i just prefer the feel and layout of nikon to canon.
got an extra lens and high speed class 10 mem card and £65 cash back from nikon.
very good camera imo.
i was buying a 2nd hand d300 off ebay,but as im starting out,it sempt a bit to complicated for now,
plus it was a dear 2nd hand as a new d5100 with warranty ect.

if i take to it and get into it more,ill deffo consider a more pro slr,but this will do fine for teaching me how to use it ect.