ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Can't get Gmail working on iphone 4

LY 182
Okay so this is my first iphone and I've always used hotmail. I'm switching gmail as I prefer it and I've heard it's good on the iphone. Anyway I'm going through the set up, I have enabled imap in my normal gmail settings. However when I try to set it up via the iphone it says 'The user name or password for "imap.gmail.com" is incorrect. I'm using the exact same details I use to sign in to it for the web..

Am I doing something really stupid?? :S

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Do some print screens of what you've got put in, (press home and lock together) post them up and I'll tell you if you're a fool or not. ;)

EDIT:

All you should have to fill in is:

Name: Mr Pants

Address: mrpants@gmail.com (or whatever your address is)

Password: cliosportstinks

Description: Personal/work/whatever.

It sound like you're being silly and missing something from you password, putting a capital where there isn't one possibly?

DMS

A thirsty 172
Yes.

You have to configure two sets of credentials for authentication (basically it needs your username and password in two places) - IMAP settings for receiving email and SMTP for sending. If you enter either incorrectly you'll get that error.

LY 182
The details are correct though. I've tried 5-10 times now. No problem with any capital letters. Very strange.

Tesla MP3 2021
Have you set it up using the Gmail feature in the iPhone or as an Exchange account?

I say this because you can only get push emails if you set it up as an Exchange account, plus your contacts will work if you use Google contacts.

Tesla MP3 2021
If you have set it up using the Gmail route then it will fetch the emails as per your settings ie 15mins, 30mins, manually etc etc.

If I was you I would delete that account and re-add it using the Exchange route with the below settings...

Email - your email
Server - m.google.com
Domain - Google
Username - your email
Password - account password
Description - Gmail or whatever you want
Use SSL - ON

This way you will have full push email and full access to all your Gmail folders if you have any :)

LY 182
Thanks for the explanation. I'll probably just leave it to the Gmail one though. I can afford to wait 15 minutes for an email to come through without any issues.

LY 182
Actually yeah I should stop being a lazy beeeetch and just do that.

Never had an iphone / email on mobile before so bit of a newb on that one. Lemme clarify. With the Gmail account you can either click on your mail and it will load the latest, or have it done auto every 15/30/whatever defined in the settings. With Exchange it will use push which means as soon as I get an email it will come through to the iphone? I will also by able to sync contacts and that as the above post?

Is this right?

LY 182
Sweet thanks. I'll get that set up instead then. Bout time I got rid of my stupid Hotmail addresses with thousands of stupid spam mails in there.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Hotmail works fine too. Infact wave4 supports exchange i think.

LY 182
Hotmail works fine too. Infact wave4 supports exchange i think.

Yeah. The emails are just so full of s**t it's easier to get a new account and just get the important stuff through to that account and ditch the crap. I find Gmail a lot easier to use now, and far better at dealing with spam.