ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

"Cant guarantee the paint will stay on..."

Meg R26 + Mk4 GTTDI
Went to a bodyshop today to get a quote for some colourcoding. Showed him what i wanted etc etc but then he told me he couldnt guarantee the paint staying on because of the plastic that it is? Surely paint should stay on it if its prepped propperly... no?

Any tips or advice? Or any bodyshops in NI that you know of and would reccomend?

Thanks in advance, Steven.

Meg R26 + Mk4 GTTDI
the usual...

black side strips, strips on boths bumpers (non sport), door handles and a cup spoiler

wait and see ;)
well if the guy cant gaurante the paint will stick then he's a s**t sprayer and wouldnt recomend him mate, plenty of people on here have had it done and i doubt very much there paint has flaked off or cracked

Meg R26 + Mk4 GTTDI
thats what i was thinking plus it was 150 for paint and materials then 30 quid an hour labour.

any who has had colour coding done... did they have to prepare the plastics in a certain way?

wait and see ;)
as said above, if prepared properly there should be no problems with the paint sticking, otherwise he's just a dodgy sprayer who personally i wouldnt go near

b/g 182, meg tourer
i have sprayed some plastic bits and bobs before. as said, it needs prepping properly. possibly plastic primer?
they probably just wanted to give it a quick spray and not put any time and effort in. find somewhere else imo

Meg R26 + Mk4 GTTDI
surely if it was that difficult people couldnt do it at home with some rattle cans and get a near perfect finish? not that i could though coz i have no experience of spraying anything:(

b/g 182, meg tourer
its easy to do if you take you're time. needs sanding, cleaning, priming, painting and laquering properly.
there is a skill to it but i have sprayed lots of things in the past, bike frames etc.
recently sprayed my side mirrors dark antharcite, very pleased with the results.

renault clio 1.4 si 2000
it's very easy to do tbh, tho i'm lucky enough to have mates in the right places to get access to the proper tools. it shouldn't remotely flake off, the only hard bit is getting a nice smooth lacquer finish with no runs. i've done my spoiler, door handles, strips, and a 172 kit this summer, plus the materials for the lot was less than £100 trade. go elswhere mate.

Never above 25mpg
I did it first time mate with no experience. Just need to grow some cojones!

Worth the effort though :)

Sanding is what will take the longest time and is the easiest thing to do.

Basecoating it will take a small amount of time and possible be the biggest c**k-up!

Just do your research round the forum and take the plunge like I did ;)

1 Series Coupe
Doesn't sound like the fella knows what he's about. I'd look into taking it to somewhere else..

Good luck mate.

Meg R26 + Mk4 GTTDI
thats what i said to him aswell but its because its bumpy or something:S

anywhere you would recomend mikey?

well i did all my own colour coding lol

you should try giving it a go yourself dude TBH

if all else fails then try someone else then, its easier than u think, plus it wnt cost you a fortune

Dodgy one
He wont have wanted to do it, Small jobs like spraying bump strips are so much faffing around compared to spraying a whole side of a car, He wont have been making much on doing it

200bhp 172 cup
its all in the preperation, and the primer used will have to be diffrent from the kind of primer used to spray the metal body panels as normal primer will not stick and after time it will flake off so make sure the use plastic primer and you cant go far wrong

ibiza cupra
the reason that he cant garrentee the paint not coming off is proply because he wont be using a plastic primmer to start with which is what is needed. plastic is more flexible that metal (obviously) and therefore need a plastic additive called an elastosizer or somthing to that effect but most 2pack primmers are flexible enough to do the job on things like that as once on the car it will not flex and bend. so i think hes just being lazy mate

t3 corolla 116bhp
steve, i got a local guy i know to do mine and the paint has stayed on fine, no problem, as long as the correct prep and primer is used its not a problem. price seems a bit steep to imo.

i got full rear bumper spray, spoiler, door handles, front bumper inserts, side strips and bullets for less than 200

and its a top class job believe me

Image186.jpg

Image187.jpg

Image213.jpg

Image269.jpg

Clio172 / Focus Ti X
lol 150 for paint and stuff seems quite alot to me.

Like any paintwork its all in the prep. any paint will come off if it aint prep'd correctly before hand. Use a plastic primer or a filler primer and paint them yourself. save a fortune

Meg R26 + Mk4 GTTDI
steve, i got a local guy i know to do mine and the paint has stayed on fine, no problem, as long as the correct prep and primer is used its not a problem. price seems a bit steep to imo.

i got full rear bumper spray, spoiler, door handles, front bumper inserts, side strips and bullets for less than 200

Image186.jpg

Image187.jpg

Image213.jpg

Image269.jpg

that looks like a good job. your from ni yes? how local is local:rasp:

Meg R26 + Mk4 GTTDI
went and got another quote today from someone else...

all started well with him talking about how the preparation was key etc (sounded like he knew what he was on about)

than it all went bad, he told me the price...

250+ VAT

Image186.jpg

Image187.jpg

Image213.jpg

Image269.jpg
hi jonny, u pic ***** :rasp:

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Also worth remembering that a lot of plastic trims are detailed with bumper gel and what not. With the use of this stuff, the oils 'sink' into the plastics, thus making it s biatch to prep/paint properly

A silver Honda
FM will LOL at this thread when he sees it me thinks:clown:

Sounds like a dodgy bodyshop for sure!