ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car break in - door repair

1.2 dynamique 2003
So, last night my clio got broken into by some f**khead nicking off with a old worthless ipod (hidden away) and a £50 stereo.
ok you win some you lose some, i aint truelly bothered about them as easily replaced.
what i am bothered about however is how this f**khead broke into my car which was smashing a screwdriver through the doorpanel busting the lock open. now..if he smashed the window, wouldnt be as bad as easy repair..but no..iv got a gaping hole in the side of my door and busted lock.

so now i could do with some thoughts and views on what to do to repair this.
would it be easier/cheaper to get the hole welded up (hole reshaped, filled and welded), sprayed and locks replaced?
or simply just getting myself a new car door from scrappers and just getting it sprayed and new locks put in it?
to me, it is going to be abit of a costly job either way (all for sake of some f**khead making a few extra bob on the side) and i aint claiming off insurance because then that would skyrocket.
so what would you do and how?

cheers xxx

p.s i do apologise for my attitude

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Is the lock barrell from the old door still functioning? You've not made it clear if they broke this, or just jammed it out with a screwdriver?

If so, pretty simple, buy a door in the correct colour from any breakers you can find one in. (Renparts would be my first port of call).

Fit the new door, and the lock from your old door. I'd imagine if you do the labour you'd only be looking at <£150

1.2 dynamique 2003
I can put the key all the way into the key barrell, but its just wont turn, id assume that if the keybarrel was ok and it was something else that was busted to unlock the car i woulda thought id still be able to turn the key but obviously with nowt happening. Im struggling to upload pictures at the moment so ill have to try and describe it to you.
Right up against the lock on the car door is a hole about 1cm in diamete as if someones hammered a flaptip screwdriver down the side of the lock. The lock itself from the outside looks fine, doesnt seem to be any superficial damage so this guys obviously hammered something inside the door to jam the lock open. I know it doesnt seem like much damage but gunna be costly to get repaired. Like i say, wish hed just smash the window...or not break into it at all lol. Hope my description gives you a little idea of what it looks like.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
If they key goes in and it's not damaged you might be OK. It could just be the locking mech attached to the barrell that's damaged and you can manage some kind of bodge to sort the issue once you've got a new door through?