ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car cuts out on first start.

RB 182 & Lotus Evora
Hi,

Ive read alot about peoples cars not starting first time in the mornings but working second with no problems whatsoever. Just very recently as the mornings seem to have got a little colder ive had the same issue.

Last night i thought id pop the bonnet open and have a quick check.

In this check i did the following:

Removed TDC sensor and cleaned it up and cleaned the contacts on the loom.
Checked battery ampage which was on 4.
Cleaned up all other visible wiring loom connectors.

Again this morning the car started first time but it struggled to stay alive, with it idling between 900-1000rpm where id imagine it should be on overrun due to a cold start and idling at 1200rpm. It very nearly almost cut out.

Now this isnt an immediate problem as such but it certainly could eventually be alot worse.

Im not convinced its the TDC sensor causing this issue....does anyone else have any ideas? Car runs like an idley POS in the mornings, but once upto operating temperature it has no faults whatsoever.

Any ideas anyone?

ph1 172
how did you measure the battery ampage? you need to be checking voltage across the terminals, check the battery terminals are tight

most starting problems are battery, and the fact you mention cold weather... (batteries are less effective in the cold)

RB 182 & Lotus Evora
I have an amp meter. It was sitting at 4. Battery terminals are tight but i dont want to disconnect the battery as i dont know where the stereo code is :(

Maybe if i wake up early enough i can check the battry state in the morning.