ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car feels skittish

Recently I changed my old mk2 ph2 172 non cup springs and shocks to some newer ones off a172 cup. Mine where probably orginals from the factory and the ones I bought had 15k miles on them. So mine where non cup and I swapped them for a 172 cup suspension. I replaced front and rear.

Changed it over with the helpful advice of everyone here. Been on axle stands for a while as I did both gearbox mounts:mad::quiet::(:(

Took the car out for a test drive and the car feels scary over bumps in the road and over 60mph. Doesnt feel sure footed anymore. No steering wheel shake and it doesnt look like it running any camber but not sure. I torqued everything up and made sure it was tight.

I though with a 172 cup suspension it wouldnt be any different to the non cup (unlike the 182's), am I wrong here?

Does it sound like I fitted them right as im 100% sure I have.

Will I need 4 wheel alignment?

tiTTy & SV650
How do you know the shocks aren't gubbed? Check rears for leaks. Clios need front wheel tracking only rear isn't adjustable, £35-40 and worth doing anyway after changing suspension.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Did you check the dampers are ok before putting them on?

mine feels a bit skittish....but i found ive snapped a pro-line (and im assuming none of yours were cracked having just changed dampers etc) next im doing tracking and hoping that fixes it

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
mine was like this. one of the rear springs hadnt snapped, but has compressed more than the other side! no idea how/why! was well twitchy under heavy braking

Did you check the dampers are ok before putting them on?

yes , they where fine, if anything probably better than my old shocks. It not just dodgy going round cornors it like it feel likes it wants to wander even when going in a straight line. Il have a look at the springs at the back to make sure they are on right.

Cheers Rory thats good to know, If need be il just change the rear shocks ( thats easy thankfully) back but the suspension feel a little harder but not sure if this is a placebo. The shocks feel like they have more of a dampening effect if that makes sense. I assumed this was because my old shocks where leaking slightly or worn so they didnt dampen as effectivly.

What would I look for when looking for leaking dampers? I take it oil down the side of it?

Leah I changed my springs and shocks.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
wandering in a straight line will be the rear dampers, its one of they feelings you cant put your finger on it but it just doesnt feel right!! go into a damp roundabout a little faster than you normally would and lift off and you will soon tell if the rears are gone!!!

i wouldnt be paying anymore than £40 for alignment as rory said., John @ Progrip in Larbert charges round about that for a 172/182

Man I just got these shocks they where supposedly off a low miler. The cars done 40 miles now and feels much better. Il get the alignment done and if that doesn't sort it then 2 new shocks it is :(

tiTTy & SV650
My 182 went through 9 shocks in 30k so low mileage doesn't mean much, although 182 shocks seem worse than 172 ones for this.
HTML:

My 182 went through 9 shocks in 30k so low mileage doesn't mean much, although 182 shocks seem worse than 172 ones for this.
HTML:

Whoa that's alot. Is there any visual damage I can look for so I can tell they are deffonatly broke?

RB FF 182
This happened to me when someone put a directional tyre on the wrong way... Have you checked that you've not accidentally put a wheel back on the wrong side??

Sounds like shocks though... :-S

Looking for 182
Mine had felt a bit funny for the last week or so but seems so much better since I checked my tyre pressures. Fronts were on 33/35, so I put them both down to 32. Rears were on 32/33, so I put them both to 32. Feels so much better :)

I replaced my rear shocks when i got the car, after noticing that fluid was leaking out of the rear offside one. We had cleaned it up and dried it....waited a few hours and yep, definitely leaking so new shocks were put on. I dunno if there are any other ways to tell tho

RB FF 182
I replaced my rear shocks when i got the car, after noticing that fluid was leaking out of the rear offside one. We had cleaned it up and dried it....waited a few hours and yep, definitely leaking so new shocks were put on. I dunno if there are any other ways to tell tho

My rear shocks were bone dry... But they were like bike pumps. Haha

Best way to test in my opinion is to take 'em off and press!! Lol

Cheers mate will take them off and check. I tried doing the press down on the car And see if it bounces but it feels solid. Atleast the rears are a fairly easy job. :cool:

Black Gold Trophy
I'm pretty sure 172/172 cup dampers and springs are identical.
If you've replaced your parts with second hand items, there is every possibility they have come from a car involved in a crash and they are damaged.
I'd get a 4 wheel alignment from a garage that uses the hunter system. You could also check over your work and just make sure that you've fitted everything correctly.

Cheers guys will check it all again :dapprove:. TBH I think if I jack the rear of the car up I should be able to tell. Im going to get the wheel algnment done to.

Thanks guys

RB FF 182
I'm pretty sure 172/172 cup dampers and springs are identical.
If you've replaced your parts with second hand items, there is every possibility they have come from a car involved in a crash and they are damaged.
I'd get a 4 wheel alignment from a garage that uses the hunter system. You could also check over your work and just make sure that you've fitted everything correctly.

I didn't think the rears were adjustable??