ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

car has turned in to a drunk - steering all over the shot -

Tin Can with wheels
right been reading up on this common fault.. my car has developed a rather nasty habit of tramlining and generally all over the shot...

I can't feel any play through the steering wheel or through the wheels when putting some movement on them to look for play...

my shopping list is to try and solve this issue:

2x complete wishbones
2x track rod ends
2x rack ends

but my question is what should I replace first? as all in one hit will cost an arm and leg.. also I'm in need of rear brakes so I can only really afford about £120 notes to start solving this problem this month?

the car is a 182 with both cup packs

any advise would be much appreciated, maybe even some prices :eek:

Tin Can with wheels
oh forgot to mention i am running K-tec coilovers with k-tec solid top mounts... and rear shocks have been checked anyway just in case and they are fine....

Tin Can with wheels
just been to Euro car Parts and here's some prices I got

wishbone + ball joint - £40.43 each
Track rod end - £21.44 each
inner rod's ( rack ends) £19.91.. each..

Freetrack&Monaco 172
I have just put new wishbones/balljoints onto mine then allignment following that, used to be all over the shop, now much better. I hadnt changed the track rod ends.

Tin Can with wheels
yep check pressures all round... they are all spot on its progressively got worse over the past few weeks. I have checked to see if any of the brake callipers are sticking that came back with nothing either. Tomorrow i with have the wheels off and check everything again before I place the order on Monday, will also be checking the PAS rack mounts as some people have said theirs were loose...

Icarus83 - did you get your wishbones from Renault?

ok i might change over the wishbones first and see how that changes things. it's just not fun to drive the tin can right now :(

Freetrack&Monaco 172
Yeah, got mine from the stealers in the end as couldn't get them anywhere else. Local motorfactors couldn't get hold of either the 10 or 12mm types (I have no idea what the difference in mm refers to, possibly the pinch pin/balljoint diameter!?).

Took my VIN number to Renault, they ordered a pair in for me in 3 days. £142 inc VAT later and my issue was solved. No point finding my part numbers for you as I am fairly sure my Cup has different ones to your 182 anyway.

Mine got progressively worse over 6 months or so as they got nearer the end of their lives........not sure why yours would do it in such a short time......

Tin Can with wheels
cheers for the info

I know that the roads around here are shot to hell, looks like they have been carpet bombed and left, also huge tram tracks from heavy vehicles.. could be speeding wear up :/ as i do this daily. I will see what parts Euro Car Parts give me, I am betting they will be wrong - just my luck - then off to the stealers I go

Mk5 golf gti
ive jus done track rod ends an ball joints and its spot on now

i payed 35 for both sides from local motor factors

Tin Can with wheels
my finding from the weekend...

Can feel some slight knock in the steering rack but cannot pin point where or what its coming from.

Wishbones from Euro Car Parts are wrong - so just ordered ball joints from NW performance, going to also order Tie rod ends from Renault today at a fantastic price of £46 something ...

and the rest of my weekend wasn't any better, laptop is dead and 1 of my hi-fi speakers tweeter is fu*ked

Tin Can with wheels
right replaced lower ball joints and tie rod ends... car handles like new :D still have a very slight pull to the left.. I think this is down to road camber