ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car idling problems

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

Right. Cars been pissing me right off past few days. when i first start it its fine, idles at 900prm, soon as i drive it or rev it the revs drop too low and it stalls. at about 300rpm. so when im coming to a junction etc, the car is stalling.

So i changed the fuel filter as i was running on fumes the other day b4 it started. sprayed some carb cleaner in the TB, and idle speed control valve (i think) and have just filled up with optimax and shoved a bottle of injector cleaner in....

Still the same. When i first fired it up it was spot on, i could rev it and it would drop to about 1200rmp then slowly drop to 900rpm as usual. soon as i go for a drive it starts again! now every time i start it up it stalls almost straight away....

any ideas? thanks

I had a problem like this only when it was really cold though... I used to let it warm up properly before driving off then it was ok.........

Rob.

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

no any time....

iv had similar problem in teh past and just let it idle for a few mins and it sorts itself out.

just been for a mega thrash. it seems to be idling up and down, from about 300rpm to 1400 and back again!!!!

grrrrrrrrrr

It might be the Idle Potentiometer. I think thats how you spell it. Same thing happened to mine a few months ago so I got new one from a breakers yard of a 19 16v for a fiver.

It could be the Idle Control Valve though. you can take this off and spray it with some carb cleaner might be best to try this first as costs nothing. Also try waggling the wires in the loom from the ECU to the offside of the engine bay. I had a friend with a valver with an idling problem and this sorted it. Do it while the engine is running and see if this cures it.

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

yeah i sprayed carb cleaner in.....iv got a spare throttle body from a 19 16v so i might nick the petentiometer (sp) as iv now adjusted mine!

gonna look for any loose wiring tomorrow as well! and the speedo cable! too slack?

Cheers for the advice!