ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car Imobilised? help!

I just finished work at 10 o'clock, went to my car but when I went to unlock the doors with the keyfob nothing happened. Thinking somehow I didn't lock the doors (despite the fact, that even if I did the hazards would still flash) I just opened the door with the key, however when I went to attempt to start it, I again got nothing. After asking around, some people suggested it was the starter motor, some the alternator, some the immobiliser and some the battery in the keyfob. I haven't got a clue what's up with it. It's now sat outside work (luckily under a camera) until tomorrow at least.

I just hope it is as simple as a dead battery in the keyfob (the red light on it shows when I press it - I didn't before) as opposed to something which is inevitably going to cost me loads.

By the way, I doubt this has anything to do with it - but seeing as the car has been running fine; its worth a mention that on the way to work today, I changed a headlight bulb. Surely that can't be anything to do with it? can it?

Da

Less
First thing I would try is your spare key. It may just be that your current key has got out of sync.

If neither key works then I'm afraid it's something more serious. As the remote central locking doesn't work it could be ECU related as the receiver is built in I believe.

I don't have spare :(

I don't know whether this is just me being my paranoid self, but is it a bad idea to keep keys like these in your pockets all day? I'm always scared of accidentally pressing the button incase I accidentally knock the fob out of sync, as it were. Despite the fact I'm often way beyond it's range..

Da

Less
Ok - well when you go back to the car climb in and put the key in the ignition. Take note as to what the immobiliser flashing LED does as this will help identify the problem.

Can I ask why you have no spare?

There is a re-sync you can do for your current key if you do a search on here, but this will only work if all the systems are still functioning correctly and I believe the key should still start the car as both systems are separate anyway.

Sounds like a renault.

When you tern the key to on in the ignition what do the dash lights do. I know there's a problem with some Renaults that if you don't unlock with the fob (i.e not with key) it will not start there is a way to bypass this and its a pain and also completely deactivates the immobiliser.
As for it just having a flat battery as long as its not the system described above then the transponder that tells the immobiliser to swich off when you put the key in does not need a battery to function (had no battery's in my fobs for about a year) but the transported in the fob can 1: get out of sink 2: just stop working altogether for no resign whatsoever.
So you either need to resink the fob and get a new battery in it (hold down the lock door butten in side the car for 5secs doors will lock and unlock point fob (with a new battery in it) and click it 2 times and now it should be resinked.
If its not that type of transponder then use your spear and you will have to get a new one from Renault for £110 or how ever mutch thay are.

Don't think that will help at all but hay :)

Yeah, will do. I'll probably be towing it home in the morning.

I don't have a spare as the previous owner (i bought it through a dealer) allegedly lost it. I think I may well be too naive at times..

Da

Less
As a note - the immobiliser works on the decoder ring, this will not stop the doors unlocking. The receiver for the remote fob is in the ECU - the two systems are not linked.

Did you have any dash lights when trying to start the car?

Where abouts are you in Manchester, I'm in the NW myself.

Right, I've got a feeling this is a hell of a lot worse than I originally thought.
Tried messing about with it today, with a few mates help & get bugger all. Turning the key in the ignition does nothing, no dash lights or anything. Tried jumpstarting it, again to nothing despite being a practically brand new battery. All fuses appear fine. Was suggested it could be alternator fault, but surely I'd get some sign of life with that.

So now I'm stuck with a lump of a car (still at work till Monday at least) that I have no clue what's wrong with.

Aaagh!

I bet you any money its a key fault, go down to your local renault dealer with your V5/passport and £140, the key will take 5-10 working days to come in and will need to be coded to the vehicle in their service dept. Even if it isn't the key your going to need a spare anyway.
I expect you've flattened the battery trying to start it, if that little red light in between the rev counter and speedo doesn't go it its immobilised, you can try all you like.
On a clio like yours there is no immobiliser code to overide it unlike some other renaults. No point jump starting it etc, if the keys f**ked then you need a new one, no other way of getting it going.

Mk2 1.2 Campus
Have you actually tried charging the battery and making sure all of the terminals are on correctly? When you replaced the battery something might not be connected securely.

I really appreciate the help fellas, thanks a lot.

The draining the battery to try and get it started sounds about right, as when I first went to the car on friday night the dash lights did come on briefly. If this was the case though, surely attempting to jump start it would give me some life?

The plan now is to charge up my spare battery today, put it in tomorrow to see if it makes a difference, then get a new key sorted.

Mk2 1.2 Campus
I really appreciate the help fellas, thanks a lot.

The draining the battery to try and get it started sounds about right, as when I first went to the car on friday night the dash lights did come on briefly. If this was the case though, surely attempting to jump start it would give me some life?

The plan now is to charge up my spare battery today, put it in tomorrow to see if it makes a difference, then get a new key sorted.

Not really, think about how much power you need to power a dash light and how much a starter needs

Ok, after all that it seems that it was thankfully just the battery. I put my charged up old one in there today, hoping that I'd get some sign of life and it started first time.

I'm a bit miffed to say the least though, as the battery must be about a month or so old at most. However, I remember that when I bought it (from halfords) the girl serving me recommended me to keep my receipt as they usually lose their charge. I'm going to get either my money back or a replacement tomorrow.

Only slightly problematic thing that remains is the central locking from the fob still isn't working - I'm guessing I'll have to re-sync my key or whatnot? If so how?

cheers for all the advice again chaps, I owe you all one ;)

Clio
The fact that your killing a battery every couple of months ("as the battery must be about a month or so old at most.") points to another problem. I take it you got a new battery because the old one died. I'd look for a power drain in the car killing the battery or a faulty alternator. Halfords stores have a bosch battery/alternator checker. while your there get them to check your alternator!

PH2 172sport++
i have just come back after spending the weekend in skeggy went to open my01 cliosport and nothing ,wont do anything with the remote so used the key opened the door put key in ignition and nothing totally dead :( put battery on charge 4 three hours tried to start car got it turning over but it wont start red engine light is flashing on dash:S any ideas please

Mk2 1.2 Campus
If you're talking about the red circle in the middle of the clocks then this is normally to do with the immobiliser

Halfords stores have a bosch battery/alternator checker. while your there get them to check your alternator!

My local one is a pretty biggish one that always has a marquee outside for them to do work on your car. However, they apparently don't have the equipment to check alternators.

I'm 99.9% sure thats the issue though, as I've noticed its starting to sound wheezy - so I'll get into a garage for them to have a look at as soon as poss.

Bit of an update on this one, since the problem was 'sorted' with the new battery I booked it in at my local garage for them to have a look at, as I thought my alternator was on the belly up. Now, regrettably I haven't been able to get it to the garage until today due to work commitments and a lack of time.

Thing is, they haven't got a clue what's wrong with it. Apparently the alternator is in fine working order.
I've been recommended to take it to an auto electricians to see if they can figure out what's going on with it.

GAH!