ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car insurance just makes no sense...

Clio
So for the last year our car (52 vw golf tdi) has been insured under my girlfriends name with me as a named driver.
my girlfriend is 23, had her licence for 5 years, has 3 years NBC, no accidents and a clean licence,
im 20, had my licence 1 year, 1 year NBC, no accidents etc.
so our renewal is due and the cheapest I've found in her name is £681, so just out of curiosity I did I quote in my name with her as a named driver, and it's coming back at around £470?! All other details (address etc) are the same
dont get me wrong, I'm not complaining, but can anyone make sense of that? I'm younger, with less experience and less NBC, yet it's considerably cheaper?!

Last edited by a moderator:
  Monaro VXR
Occupation can cause the prices to jump quite a lot.
Here's one for you, my Monaro with mods £620 to insure. My Citroen C4, £960! The most hilarious thing though. They were both more expensive originally until I had my accident, that's right it actually went down after my accident!
It's a complete piss take insurance, I swear most of the time it's just a random number generator.

twingo
my first car was a 1.4L mg ZR aged 19 third party fire and theft (cheapest option) 2,500 quid. a year later, i got an sti impreza for 623 quid fully comprehensive. then about the same for a 172 and a s14 before i settled with a fun little turbo twingo which is now 400 a year fully comp with 6 years ncb. insurance companies are just crooks who have us all bent over their tables with our rings lubed up and ready to take whatever they want to give.

SAAB 93 Aero TTiD SS
I pay 300 per year the 172, £270 for the 4.0 V8 jag and the tax is 50 quid cheaper

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
My insurance company wanted an extra 7000 to change the car from a 172 to my megane 230:confused:

Really do think some of their prices are made up on the spot!

Unlucky Alf

ClioSport Club Member
  09 astra 1.6 T
I'm 22, had my license 3 and half years, 0 ncb as was a named driver for 3 years on a van.
Got my 1.2 corsa and it was £1163 (on some 10 month booster thing where I'd still be classed as having a full year no claims after 10month?). Did a quote to see what it would be like in may, £1033. f**king s**t! I want it lower than a grand and I'll make sure I get it! Lied to one before saying my cheapest quote I found was £1100, when Infact it was £1400, other insurer came out with £950 lol.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
I remember when I was 21 insuring my brand new 172 for £1200 thinking it was a lot of money, looking back it was a bargain.

FF Clio 182
Insurance quoted £600, I'm 21 with 2 years no claims. But I had an accident beginning of last year that wasn't my fault and all cost covered by the other party, told my insurance now they wanted near £800. So I am being punished for not doing anything. Insurance is one big con

Clio
It's bizzare, the insurance on my golf is annoyingly expensive anyway, considering a can insure a 182 or fn2 type r for less than £50 more!