ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car keeps eating Crank sensors.

306 GTI-6. 172.
Hi all, well after having my car back from its Gearbox rebuild and a lovely bill of £900 for that and a few other things my car has now developed another problem. It has been through three Crank Sensors in about 4 weeks! Luckily I haven't had to pay for them or any labour but what could be causing this?

The car will run fine and then after a long or maybe even a short journey it will not start. It will turn over but it will not fire = Crank sensor fubarbed! At the moment the car starts and runs fine (touch wood) but I am just waiting for its next incident.

So any ideas what could be causing the crank sensors to keep going?

306 GTI-6. 172.
You will have to excuse my lack of knowledge.

I presume its electric but am a complete mechanical numpty. The car will turn over fine but it will not fire, when the Crank sensor is replaced it fires and starts.

Also when first started and for say a minute after starting, the car has an erratic idle and will rev to around 2k could this also be an issue with the crank sensor and maybe be part of the problem or is this a lambda issue.

Cheers for any help

172006.jpg

Also do you work for K-tec? Is this one of your badges?

Last edited:

K-Tec Racing

ClioSport Trader
  172LBT-172HBT-197-R2
Hi

this does sound like more indepth than just a crank sensor...

has it been on diagnostics?

Andy

306 GTI-6. 172.
Hi thanks for the reply, yes it has been on diagnnostics the only fault that came up was one with lambda but after a quick inspection it seemed that the lambda was OK (until payday anyway).

I thought it would be something more in depth than just a simple sensor.

306 GTI-6. 172.
Hi thanks for the reply, yes it has been on diagnnostics the only fault that came up was one with lambda but after a quick inspection it seemed that the lambda was OK babbageil payday anyway).

I thought it would be something more in depth than just a simple sensor.

The above is meant to say until payday anyway. I have no Idea why its says "babbageil" :drunk:

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Is it possible that the crank sensor is getting knocked by and therefore damaged??

Only other thought is are you replacing just the sensor unit? Or the loom piece as well? As I believe there is an updated loom out for this.

306 GTI-6. 172.
Hi thanks for the reply, I have only been replacing the sensor. Would the loom be a big job?

With regards to it being knocked that is a possibilty and one that I am going to look into further. When they have been replaced there isn't sign of any damage but that doesn't mean to say thats not what could be causing it.

Really want to get to the bottom of this as its getting a bit annoying every time I take the car out I don't know whether or not it will start and therefore I am not enjoying driving it, which is a shame as its a great car.

306 GTI-6. 172.
Yes I appreciate its not hard but it is a pain in the ass, would you not agree?

"the looms just a bit a wire to allow a new connector.. "

Cheers if thats the case then yes it has been changed.

Going to take it back to my mechanics on Thursday and let them have a look at it,

Cheers for the help.