ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car key went theough the washing machine

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
I opened the washing machine to find my clio key had been in with the clothes. The key is no longer working at all so imassuming the water has damaged it.

Anyone know where the best place would be to get a copy key made up? Is it Renault only and should i be sitting down when i hear the price?

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Will the car start using the key?
Not tried that mate, didnt want to risk messing something up?

Luckily my spare key is working so i can still use the car, but i need to have 2 keys so need this broken one sorting.

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
You won’t mess anything up. If it rejects the key it just won’t start.

Maybe dry it out without the battery in the key.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will see if it starts then.

I have done mate, had every bit apart to dry but no joy

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
You won’t mess anything up. If it rejects the key it just won’t start.

Maybe dry it out without the battery in the key.

Have just been out and tried, and it does actually start the car. I can unlock from the door with the key too.

Not sure what that means then? Just the remote part that unlocks / locks is broke?

rik220

ClioSport Club Member
At least it starts the car. That’s good.

The battery possibly shorted in the wash and is goosed.

Maybe worth replacing the battery. Did you split the key and inspect the circuit board?

Edit - just seen you had it apart.

Rystar

ClioSport Club Member
  2003 Clio 172
Not tried this on a Clio, but on other stuff I've worked on, if it starts the car but the central locking doesn't work, you can buy any central locking board from any key and program it using the factory procedure. This Normally involves a series of presses/key positions and sometimes two keys in order to work.
Like I say haven't had to do this with a Clio yet but I'd be amazed if there weren't a similar procedure

dan's cast offs.
microswitch will be dead, get new one and solder it on, only a couple of quid for one. new battery as well.

you could try blowing the switch out with an airline and then purging it with gt85/wd etc but i'd just stick a new one on.

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
microswitch will be dead, get new one and solder it on, only a couple of quid for one. new battery as well.

you could try blowing the switch out with an airline and then purging it with gt85/wd etc but i'd just stick a new one on.

Hi Bloke,

Strange you mention that. My spare key wasnt working, and didnt seem to have the “click” in it anymore. I took it apart and put a microswitch on from a spare key i had, and it works, yet it still doesnt have the “click”. Does that make sense?

I picked up another spare key yesterday at the breakers yard so will take the microswitch off that and solder it onto the damaged wash g machine key and see if it works.

Thanks for the heads up. I will let you know how i get on.

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
yup, nothing will happen if the switch is dead.

Just soldered the spare micro switch on and still nothing. Also tried the microswitch from the damaged key on the spare key and that must be OK as its lighting the light up, so looks like it isnt the microswitch thats the problem