ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car making a different noise

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
Fitted an Evol dog bone mount on the weekend and now the car is making a different noise.
I was expecting extra vibrations and vibration noises, but it makes a more of a 'hollow' sound on start up and idle, as if the exhaust isn't actually attached (currently sat In an exhaust place for an unrelated reason, it if it wasn't attached then I am sure they would tell me!). I am only assuming this is something to do with the extra vibrations, but it doesn't sound like body panel vibrations. I know that was a really vague description, but not sure how to describe it!!
Is this normal or anyone experienced anything similar? Not fussed if it is normal, just want to know so I can sort it if it's broken.

And I am pretty certain my gear box shouldn't whine under load and lifting off.....that won't be the new mount 😢 but time for a new gear box with LSD??

James363

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
The mount tends to make all noises amplified in the cabin. I fitted the ktec race one, and you can hear everything that's going on a lot more clearly. I have crunched a gear once or twice (yes I know, feel the shame) and that makes a much louder noise than before, I was really worried when I did it. Afaik, the ph1 and the 172 cup have the same gearbox, I haven't noticed any whining as such on mine. I don't remember the exhaust sounding different either, but it's been on there a while now, so I can't really remember. I know I couldn't quite believe how bad the vibrations were at first.
If you fancied it, you could get building a new box for when it goes!

McGherkin

Macca fan boiiiii
ClioSport Club Member
Ph1 and cup have different gearboxes but they both have speedo drive. Ph1 ratios are much longer than the cup - it's not uncommon to put a cup box in a Ph1 for better acceleration as a result.

James363

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
Ah, my apologies. I had heard that, but the next comment in the thread was someone vehemently denying that this was the case...

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
Hmmm I am hoping any new noises will die down with time and it bedding in. Just didn't expect it to make a new noise in start up, could be the whole car shaking instead of just the engine as isn't this the time when there is most movement?

Not really looked into the gear box whine, all I know it's new! Sounds like an old mini or metro, distinct A-series engine and gear box noise. That's a good idea to get a new box and refurb it while this one I working. The Cup box would be an option if acceleration is better, not fussed about top speed. Future problems!!!