ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car not starting, blinking red engine stop light?

Commie VID

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise 111S, Model 3
Getting to the end of my tether with this car.

Been out of action for a month and a half because of clutch, suspension and an exhaust (which took almost 3 weeks to sort out), and after a couple hours of test driving and about to let the wife drive it and enjoy it at last, it now refuses to start!

Just some clicks coming from the passenger side, with the immobiliser light staying on solid, and the red engine with the stop in it blinking.

Now, when I attach a jump lead from the battery negative to somewhere on the engine, the starter begins to turn, sometimes briefly, sometimes for about 3 seconds, but then stops.

What I've tried so far:

Removed engine bay relays and gave them a quick emery cloth rubbing, swapped around. Sometimes when put into ignition, there can be multiple clicks from the passenger side.

Taken a look at the gearbox braided earth behind the passenger side wheel arch. The car worked yesterday, and said cable whilst not looking immaculate, doesn't seem damaged.

The jump lead thing I mentioned above.

Thrown so much money at this car over the last few weeks, I'm really getting annoyed as hell about it.

Commie VID

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise 111S, Model 3
Battery has been on charge since yesterday morning, and will be on the charger to keep it topped up.

The braided gearbox earth to the body was loose on the gearbox for some reason, tightened that up and now the car is turning for about 2-3 seconds consistently now. This was the same as when I used the jump cable to connect negative to the gearbox, so that's that sorted.

The earth wire that goes to the top of the gearbox, coming from the loom that goes to the speed sensor, when that is connected, the red engine symbol with the STOP sign in it (the one in the middle 3x3 icons) is blinking when the car is in ignition.

When it's disconnected, that light doesn't blink, and the engine still turns for about 2-3 seconds.

Anyone else ever encountered this? Sounds like I will need to start pulling the loom around that area and seeing if something has melted or fused or something?

Commie VID

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise 111S, Model 3
Ok, can't really get that much of the loom unless I take drastic action, and I'm not there yet.

I gave the UCH a few wiggles and taps, and now the immobiliser light is off, but the blinking red engine STOP is still on.

It appears to now be cranking but not sparking.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Turn the key all the way (just before it turns over the car), then leave it there for a minute. Turn the key all the way back to off, then try starting it again.

Have you checked the nut is tight on your negative terminal by the way? That loosens off stopping it from starting.

Commie VID

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise 111S, Model 3
Well, I took the cover off the ECU bracket, gave the connector at the top a wiggle, then the red engine light stopped blinking.

Lo and behold, the car fired up.

Freak incident, or something I should be wary of in the future?

Many thanks for the tips and advice everyone.

PH2 172
Well, I took the cover off the ECU bracket, gave the connector at the top a wiggle, then the red engine light stopped blinking.

Lo and behold, the car fired up.

Freak incident, or something I should be wary of in the future?

Many thanks for the tips and advice everyone.

I`m not convinced that you fully understood blokes recommendation regarding the wiring loom earth.

If the gearbox has been off to change the clutch, this earth may also be loose.

Wiggling the wiring may have improved it`s contact.

https://www.cliosport.net/threads/is-this-cable-an-earth.813488/