ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car not starting, think ive found a fix!!

Clio 1.4 16v Dynamique
a while ago my car wasnt starting all the time but it would bump start,

i read a few threads on here and people mentioned tdc sensors etc,

however i have found that if i leave my car parked in gear usualy overnight or all day when im at work, when i come to it it wont start..

whereas whenever i have left it in neutral it is fine everytime!!

i have tried it a few times and everytime it doesn t start its been left in gear!

anyone one here might be able to tell me what it could be or if its just a complete fluke!!??

Audi S1
I have near hear of anyone leaving there car in gear lol... I done it once by accident, when i started my engine I scared the s**t out of my self!

clio 1.4RT
i was taught this too.... its so if your handbreak fails whist on a hill the car wont roll back and crash. simple but effective

I have near hear of anyone leaving there car in gear lol... I done it once by accident, when i started my engine I scared the s**t out of my self!

My car is quite often parked for days at a time so I leave it in gear with the handbrake off. Stops the rears rusting and sticking.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
I always dip the clutch whenever i get into anycar atall.

You find older people leave cars in gear all the time on a hill or not :eek:

dci126 & H&R'd 1*2
I allways leave mine in gear, on a hill or not, call me old fashioned or something, but when your rear brakes freeze solid in wintertime you'll think again in the future

Clio 1.4 16v Dynamique
i leave it in gear because like most people said i park on a hill at home so it stop the car going anywere if the handbrake fails ..

but still i cant think of any thing how this would affect it starting!!

i havnt tried different gears usualy is 3rd or 2nd i leave it in

anyway it seems to work leaving it out of gear

Trophy #267
car in gear, always start with clutch pressed to save life of motor and always lock car with steering lock engaged with wheels not straight so pikeys cant tow your car away easily.

It's just got to be coincidental surely. I had a car a while that would cut out and stall every single time at this one junction and I mean everytime no matter what I did yet it never stalled anywhere else. Just one of those weird things I suppose.

clio 182 black /gold
I always leave mine in gear. Then in netural before i start it. As for your problem im not sure if it should make a difference.