ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car now rolls down the f*ckin hill when handbrake is on : (

Had lots of rear brake issues with my MOT.

Took car to mates and spent a few hours working with him tonight. He freed up the self adjusting wotsits in the drum (both were stuck) which fixed that problem, so hopefully it won't fail the retest with the pedal brakes now.

We (he) also tightened the handbrake cable (another part of the fail) so that the wheel could be turned easily when not on, but took effort to spin on just the third click. Unfortunately, off the jack and on the road, the car quickly rolls down a hill on the 3rd click, and needs a whopping 7 clicks to keep car in place. To get it to this 8th click, so much pressure is needed, its difficult to turn it off by lifting further then dropping.

It needed up to 7 clicks before (why it failed) but now on anything less than 7 it doesn't hold much at all, making grinding noises as it disappears over the cliff!

He's a mostly competent mechanic but has tried to avoid drums up til now. What did we (he) do wrong?!

New drums bought + new bearings. > £80 before fitting.: (

Are all drums and bearings (Lucus, Bendix etc) suitable with each other / the rest of brake equipment. What's the score?!

Mondeo TDCI 130
It shouldnt fail on the clicks of the handbrake UNLESS it has no reserve travel, ie it comes right to the top! 5-7 clicks is normal!

It shouldnt fail on the clicks of the handbrake UNLESS it has no reserve travel, ie it comes right to the top! 5-7 clicks is normal!

I agreed with everything the lady failed me on, but disagreed with this one. It was only going up 5-6 clicks before, and had lots of reserve.

Now its just worse.

streched cables is my bet

May well be. Do you mean that they've temporaily stretched and need tightening again (like a guitar string when you first tune), or stretched beyond its capacity and needs replacing?

My other theory along those lines is that it could have something to do with the 'auto-adjust' mechanism in the drums? It was initially stuck, but we freed it up.

I don't know enough about this 'auto-adjust' mechanism, but is it feasable that putting the handbrake on after we'd set it up caused the auto-adjust to change the brake positions?

E55, KitCar & '85 Quattro
Yeah its quite easy to re-tension a handbrake cable- did your mate not try that first? Not sure of the clio system though so can't offer any direct help! Had REAL problems trying to get the handbrake to fit my kitcar- then I found out they'd given me about 10cm too much cable LOL

How did he adjust the rear brakes just on the hand brake cable or on the adjusters inside the drums if he just adjusted the cables up then the hand brake leavers won't be setting right and the rears brakes won't work how they should

Vw caddy tdi
Adjust cable tension on the deck or on flat 4 post ramp, otherwise stretched cables or shagged drums/pads..