ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

car pops out of 1st and 3rd when engine breaking????

Clio 172 Cup
hi, i wonder if you can help...
my car pops out of 1st gear if you drive then engine break.. it also pops out of 3rd when you come off the gas.. if driven gently with no engine breaking it doesnt seem to come out of gear!
Also there is a whining noise while driving in 4th gear.. we have checked the mounts and the tech i spoke to said they are all ok. any ideas??

Thank you

328, MK1 Clio 1.4
When you say engine braking what speed are you doing when it pops out of 1st?

Sounds like your box is shagged.

Clio 172 Cup
lol... oh god i hope not :-( you can drive off in first and if you take your foot off gas it pops out... in 3rd you can be pootling along and it will pop out... in any other gear its fine... i dont know if these boxes are a tad noisy?? its not a high pitched whine but it is there.... any ideas?? if so it it an easy fix to get a new box do you know??

Thanks a bunch :)

check you're dog bone and gearbox to subframe mounts are not shagged! to much movement in the engine when on then off the throttle can cause it to pop out.

2004 ph2 172
One more thing to check before panicking.

1st and 3rd are both at the front of the gate: Could this be a linkage problem and not a gearbox problem?

During the snowy bit you guys had, did you belly the car out and spend time working it back and forth in the snow to get out again?

It's common here in Sweden for people to bend their gear linkages when they get lumps of ice against them, and end up with too little movement in the gear-stick to get the 'box into gear properly - and then engine braking or hard acceleration pops it out of gear with ease.

A simple check - damn: I don't know how to describe this - um.... :S When in 1st gear, your gearstick will be angled towards the front of the car. When in 2nd, it'll be angled towards the back. Is the deviation from "vertical" the same in both cases, or does it lean towards the front of the car more?

I'd have money on the dog-bone too, but figured that this is worth throwing into the fray too :)