ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car revs for no reason

TT 225

Anyone help on this? I can set off home from work - car is fine, then all of a sudden the revs will stick at 1.5 - 2.5k and just rev as I sit in standing traffic or at the traffic lights. People look at me and give me dirty looks, but i cant do a thing!

Ive tried pressing the accelerator and shoving my foot under the pedal and pulling at it but it made no difference so Im not sure if its the actual throttle cable sticking. Is there something else that could be making it rev? I havent noticed anything in particular as to when this happens - its just random :(

TT 225

I dont get drunk James.... LOL :D mmmm bacardi.... hehehe

Its like if I had a choke - the car thinks its cold and revs it more - must have a sensor of some type thats broken... bloody car. Its broke more than it runs these days! I dunno

My Williams did this a few weeks back when I was sat in traffic. Did it three or for times so I revved the engine upto 5k a couple of times and it started idling properly and hasnt done it since :confused:

mine does that occasionally between 1.5k and 2k sometimes i can get it to drop by tappin the accelerator but dunno wot it is

aint the accelerator cable!

maybe thermastat thingy majig or whatver its called... u know... i dont. lol ;)

maybe u should stop filling the car on bacardi :eek:

TT 225

James - tis only the back seat and the boot that gets filled with bacardi :D Out straight from work too - free food and drinks muhahahaahaa

Could be Ben - ill check that tomorrow. Someone else mentioned the Air idle control valve? Ah, dont ya just love renaults

KELLY!!

where ya cable runs over ya airbox and meets it adjustment point u have a little scissor clip type thing to adjust it. if it has spun to directly vertical it will catch on the airbox holding the revs open. mine used to do it, still does at times. just spin the little clip off to one side.

TT 225

Woohoo thank you Ben J! Will try that! Easy fix that one :D

Oh and James? You not a pisshead? Least I got home Saturday night and not 10am sunday morning... ;)

automatic choke playing up? could be some intermitant problem to do with the temp sensor in engine, making it to switch on the choke at odd times. I had that happen with an old car.

did it work?

and as all renault things are really expensive and this isnt i feel i should charge u £50 to make u fell like u havent missed out ;)

clio williams, Ph1 172

Mine sometimes does it, usually in warmer weather. just rev it hard and itll go off. I messed about with that potentiometer thing on mine a bit ago and its not doe it since then, that maybe?

Skoda Fabia vRS

i think the most likely cause is the speedo cable, in particular the sensor on the end of it

afaik this is a Renault only part...