ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car revving aggressively despite gear changes, revving hard when idle etc

Clio
Hi all,

Wondering if I can get some help with a Clio issue (not my own). You’ll have to forgive me as my mechanical knowledge is very slim and I’m also relaying information from the car’s owner who I think is hazy on some details. So, apologies if anything I say is silly or illogical.

She owns a 2006 Renault Clio Sport 1.2L Manual – Approx. 88,000 miles.

She’s recently had a spate of issues with the car and unfortunately she’s starting to feel it’s becoming a bit of a money pit and is not keen on spending any more money on repairs / stopping use of it.

Unfortunately another issue has cropped up which I will try my best to describe here.

Apparently the issue has happened twice before and then was resolved – firstly after a Co2 emission (or possibly Oxygen) sensor was changed. The second time when the spark plugs were changed about 18 months ago.

The actual issue:

Is intermittent, occurring maybe 1 in 3 drives. The engine is revving very aggressively despite gear changes. It is slowing down/jolting when trying to accelerate. Very aggressive revving whilst car is idling and no pedals being pressed (this has not happened the last 2 times the issue has occurred, though. Also slow acceleration.

It can suddenly rev up to 4-5K RPM before slowing down to stay at about 3.

There are no warning lights lit on the dash.

After doing some googling on a number of forums people have had similar issues. I have heard Throttle Body mentioned as well as the LAMBDA sensor, engine management etc.

It has very recently had the alternator changed, which makes me wonder if this could be related as other posts have mentioned this?

Essentially I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of what this could be, and if there are any potential ‘easy fixes’ I could attempt that might solve the issue, even if not guaranteed (I saw one post mention disconnecting battery and rennecting to try to reset the computer – although I’ve not tried this).

I considered getting a budget fault code reader but my understanding is this would only work if there’s a warning light on?

Thanks very much for taking the time to read, apologies it’s a bit of an essay!

Matt

I had this on my 182 after having the belts and 197 cams fitted, never got to the bottom of it. It showed itself more when left to idle for prolonged periods where like yours it would just start to rev really high then drop to 3-4k rpm and more worryingly going around very tight right hand bends where it just decided to accelerate hard on its own.

Even when stripping the whole car and engine I didn't come across anything that looked like it would have caused it, really strange one.

I know this doesn't help at all but good luck with it as I know it can ruin driving the car waiting for it to rev its knackers off!