ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car Sold as Uk but not!

I sold my 2002 (May) 172 about 12 months ago.

The person who bought it had now contacted me to ask where i bought it from as renault have said that no more warranty work can be had.

It is over 2 years old now and therefore out of renaults 2 year warranty.

I told him it is an import and not a UK car..the people that sold it to him (non renault) said it was a UK car.

What can he do?...is he up that creek without a paddle or can he do anything as he asked for advice from me?

Thanks Peeps

I thought ALL european cars now carried 3 year warranty (not tied down to a single dealer either like you used to be)

Do imports really only have 2 years!?? ... nahhhhhh surely not :confused:

Craig

Renault Laguna Coupe

Quote: Originally posted by cnic69 on 28 August 2004

I sold my 2002 (May) 172 about 12 months ago.
not your problem really - I appreciate youre only trying to help, but its between him and the retailer - nothing to do with you.

Caveat Emptor I think is the expression.

GR7

Shiny red R32

Quote: Originally posted by craig182 on 29 August 2004

I thought ALL european cars now carried 3 year warranty (not tied down to a single dealer either like you used to be)

Do imports really only have 2 years!?? ... nahhhhhh surely not :confused:

Craig

My import car is from Jan 2002 and has a 3-year warranty. I think that a while back, Renault provided two years warranty and the third year was dealer-based but not sure when the standard Renault 3-year warranty began.

Someone will have the answer!!

500bhp Scoob

i agree, its not your problem mate, im not sure how it works on telling from an import to a UK model, but wouldnt it not say on the V5 logbook its an import, considering hes had 12 months to notice??

Maybe a bit too late for trading standards

I know that it isnt my problem and i am not worried in any way that i have done anything wrong.

When i bought the car i was told that it only had 2 years warranty...apparently you can get a letter from Renault adding the last years warranty as long as the car was destined for an EU country.

There is a catch to this though and you must apply for this within the 1st 12 months of ownership...i didnt know so therefore didnt apply for it.

I have advised that he makes some noise at Renault and if the warranty work is really expensive he might get some kind of goodwill payment from them as the car is only just out of its 2 year warranty.

Hey...if it was loads of work then i am glad i sold it when i did!!

Theres a letter on here somewhere, ive got it at work saying that all cars have 3 year warrenty as long as it was purchased in the eu, pm me and i;ll email it too you.