ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car suddenly Won't start - Broken Hazard switch?

Revels Mum & Sister
I picked up a 172 last week.
Has been fine since. Started and driven numerous times without issue.
Anyway I have a day off. So decided to clean out the inside and hoover. Started the car moved it closer to the house. Set about cleaning it.
I finish off and go outside and notice the hazard light is going. So go back into the car and try and turn the switch off. No go. Switch is knackered. Ok fine no worries will tape it down and get a new one.

Go to start the car and nothing.... All the lights illuminate. Battery is fine. But each time you try and crank the car it won't just goes clunk, clunk on each start and a relay clicks under the dash.

I have checked all the fuses both under the bonnet and in the car. They are all find. Unplugged the UCH (UHC?) and plugged back in and still no joy.

I have taken the headunit out and the hazard switch panel. I think it has an aftermarket alarm or one was retrofitted, it is an early 2002 PH2 172. Going into the hazard switch is another wire which is cut into the loom for the hazard switch. I assume is something to do with the alarm.

Any ideas??? I haven't yet for a new hazard switch. Going to try and get one now. I am hoping this will sort it however any ideas? I have literally not touched anything else...

Revels Mum & Sister
Also Immobiliser light goes out when the key is turned and stays off and will then flash when car is all locked and key out so assume this is working fine.

Put a multimeter on the battery and post the reading. It might not have enough juice to start it.

I had a similar issue once, moved the car after only running it for a few seconds and then it died. The battery had been getting worse over time though - and was a genuine 8 year old Renault one.

Reactions: Gus
My post wasn't actually very clear, mine did exactly the same. I'd started it to move it a very short distance, and thus not charged it up at all, and then when I went to move it back after getting something out of the garage, it wouldn't start and the battery was goosed.

You may be able to revive it. Get a multimeter on it - £10 well spent if you don't own one.

Revels Mum & Sister
I do have a multimeter. Will set it to Volts and get a measurement. What should I be seeing?

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
I had my starter motor changed today and sounds similar as in everything seemed okay but it wouldn't turn over. I never heard a clunk though just a click. If you look behind the engine you shiuld see it near the manifold. Give it a bang with something and it might start. Worth a try I guess.

If it's over 12 it's highly likely your fault is elsewhere. Giving the starter a few whacks is a good shout.
For what it's worth. I was trying to get a car started this weekend which I'd never had running before. Put a battery on showing low high 10's/ low 11's and the starter was very very slow. Put a decent battery on it showing 12.4, and it fired straight up.

Revels Mum & Sister
New switch in. That's working. No difference. Multimeter makes it 10.1V which is fubar I believe. New battery time