ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

car tax question

Arctic 182
my insurance policy starts tomorrow, and ive yet to recieve paperwork from the insurance company, however, im wanting to get the car taxed tomorrow, will i be able to buy the tax at the post office without having to show them insurance paperwork, will the car show up as being insured ?

No. You need to show all documents.

They can't see a database.

What are you buying tax for with 3 days to go until the end of the month anyway?

Westy. MX5
You can only do it online if you have the tax renewal notice. If not sit tight and wait for your ins. certificate and renew the tax at the PO.

I'm sure if you do it online, they can see on the database that you now have insurance so probably the easiest way of doing it.

S4 Avant
I had that problem once as well, I asked the insurance company to fax over a covering letter, stating all appropriate information. The guy at the post office explained to me that technically he couldn't accept it, but because he could see everything was present and correct he did it anyway.

Arctic 182
The cars been SORN since october, so if i tax online, once its insured tomorrow, does anyone know if i actually do have 5 additional days to drive after taxing it ? whilst waiting for the disk to arrive.

172 cup
if you ask the insurance company to email you a copy of the certificate . then you can take that to the post office, thats what i did ..

172 cup
you will not get any extra days. once you have taxed it ...it will be on the database so if a police car apr reads it you should be ok. if the police stop you i suppose they could do you for not displaying a valid tax disc. as they used to do before it was all compurterised. but i doubt they would..

Failure to display is the offense. So they can give you a ticket regardless of you having bought it online. He'd have to be in a very bad mood and you fail the attitude test for that to happen though. The ANPR vans don't read the disc, they read your plate and check it, so it's only going to be a problem if it's actually seen with eyes.

adrian flux emailed me a copy of the certificate (apparently they dont even send a hard copy these days - unless requested)

printed it off and used it fine..

they WONT accept anything but the insurance certificate in the Post Office..not even the policy shedule etc..has to be the certificate

plus watch - traffic wardens can ticket you for not displaying a tax disk too i think...

Arctic 182
just stick it on a drive for a few days. pointless taxing it so close to January.

ive got alot of running around to do in the next 3 days mate, ive been running around in a punto sporting all year to build another years no claims. Bought the 182 in october and declared it off road until now to transfer the no claims and reduce my policy. The puntos insurance has expired and ive not renewed due to selling it in the next couple of weeks. leaving me without a car when i really need one before new years eve. Im not really going to be parking anywhere public/Anywhere traffic wardens are going to be prowling.

Failure to display is the offense. So they can give you a ticket regardless of you having bought it online. He'd have to be in a very bad mood and you fail the attitude test for that to happen though. The ANPR vans don't read the disc, they read your plate and check it, so it's only going to be a problem if it's actually seen with eyes.

DVLA site states you have 5 working days :S

16v_paddy

ClioSport Club Member
  Valvers & 172 Cup
Do it online, you only need the reference number on the log book to tax it :rolleyes:

Then you get 5 working days grace for it to arrive & if you're really bothered about not having it displayed & getting pulled, print off the receipt you're sent & show that as proof you've taxed it ;)