ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car won't start after running out of petrol

Stupid I know, but I think I ran out of fuel. From stationary, the car wouldn't consider turning over, no sound at all when turning the key. Have put in another 3 litres of petrol but still nothing.

After Googling, it appears some cars have an automatic cut off if the fuel gets too low. Other sites talk about a fuel reset switch that have to be pushed after refilling. Is this the case with the mk1s?

No, it does nothing. Doesn't even try to turn over. I was just wondering if there was a simple reset switch (that some cars trip if the fuel gets too low) before I tried other things?

Have tried jumpstarting and starting the car while rolling down hill just incase the battery was low, but with no joy, just won't start to turn over.

Clio 182
Im not sure if MK 1s had an inertia switch? that would kill fuel and electrics, just a push to reset if one is fitted, should be quite obvious like it is on Mk2 Ph1's,

Do you get dash lights etc when you turn ignition on or is everything dead?

Clio 182
Are you confident the battery voltage is good enough to crank? any chance its gone flat?

On the Mk2 Ph1s it was a rubber capped push button looking thing, right near the ECU cage by the battery from memory, sorry I couldnt help you with a MK1

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
The MkI's from Ph2 on did have an intertia switch... passenger turret area near the resevoir with either a black or red cover on them but this shouldn't give a "No Crank Start" as it merely breaks the fuel pump/ignition control signal(s). When you turn the ignition key to 'energise' can you hear the pump "prime" the fuel system for 3-5 seconds or can you hear a relay in the engine bay "Click"?

Yes - There is another problem with the vehicle other than fuel supply. Check all fuses & wiring!

No - It's possible that if the pump ran dry for and locked up. Try pressing the inertia switch first and with a volt meter check the fuel pump relay is sending voltage. Something may need replacing.

Did you actually run out of petrol? Sounds to me like you got in and it wouldn't crank. That's not running out of petrol. Something else is wrong.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Check the solenoid live to the starter... common for the wiring to break at the connector or just corrosion to inhibit the starter from working.

Clio 1149cc Bilabong
Check the solenoid live to the starter... common for the wiring to break at the connector or just corrosion to inhibit the starter from working.

Yeah a deffinate possibility, just had this changed on my car.